Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-29-2009, 04:24 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough
Default Stupid dosing pump questions

Ok, so Ive been thinking of picking up a profilux 4 pump dosing unit. I have this lingering question in my head that I thought I would run by you all. I was thinking about dosing two part Ca and mg (not sure about the 4th pump?) with the unit. My question is this....every bottle of stuff I manually dose says to "shake well before using"....how do you get around this? Do you have to shake your containers of additives every day or something? Because if thats the case, and I have the bottles of stuff in my hand to shake them then I might as well do the dosing myself....no?
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 04-29-2009, 04:48 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I'm jumping in on this because I'm curious too.

I was thinking or guessing though, that maybe folks either use air pumps and bubblers in the mix, or maybe powerheads to keep it all mixed up?
Old 04-29-2009, 06:00 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

One could get something like a test-tube rocker... or make stirrers, and have them draw from there? I mean it wouldnt be hard at all to make a rocker. I think this could work? Im going to be making my own stirrers for the phyto/zooplankton/rotifer reactors im going to set up eventually.

Chris
Old 04-29-2009, 12:38 PM

Ephraim is on a distinguished road

i use the Randy's 2 part recipe. There is no need to mix any of the solutions again. Once it is dissolved, it wont percipitate out. I don't know about the commercial mixes, seems like a waste of money when you compare costs to getting the chemicals from chem master or bulkreef and mixing your own.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:46 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

^ get the the same idea from Aqua-Digitals write ups on the Balling Method, the salts stay in solution. Also as Ephraim says, get your dry chemicals in bulk to make your own DIY solutions.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:16 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Not trying to be ignorant or start something but, sodium bicarbonate is sodium bicarbonate....whether I buy it in a bottle or in a bag, it will still settle out and need to be mixed....correct me if I am wrong. I dont get why something I make myself from the same chemicals would behave any differently from something that is pre-made.
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 04-29-2009, 02:17 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

I use Randy's 2 part as well. I would guess that the majority of people running dosing pumps do not use commercial prepared CA or ALK products

J
Old 04-29-2009, 03:40 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Once it's mixed it stays in solution, unless you try to mix it too strong, then it won't all dissolve. Don't worry, and keep it simple!
Old 04-29-2009, 03:47 PM

Canuckgod420 is on a distinguished road

what is this Randys 2 part?
180G tank, custom DIY stand, Sunlight Supply-Sun Blaze 48" 8 bulb T5HO fixture, EuroReef CS6-1 and Vertex in 180 skimmers, 1/4 HP chiller, Tunze wavebox, 40G sump, and 40G refugium. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57451
Old 04-29-2009, 03:51 PM

Todd is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
Not trying to be ignorant or start something but, sodium bicarbonate is sodium bicarbonate....whether I buy it in a bottle or in a bag, it will still settle out and need to be mixed....correct me if I am wrong. I dont get why something I make myself from the same chemicals would behave any differently from something that is pre-made.

While premade solutions may be the same chemicals I doubt that they are in the same concentrations. The amount of solution made by a two part recipe is quite large for a given amount of chemical (solute), thus making it not viable for companies to package and ship this amount of liquid. The companies will increase the amount of chemical in the solution to make it more economical, ie prepaired solutions are concentrated.

In the same way that the salt you add to your tank stays dissolved because it is a low amount of chemical per a large amout of solution.