Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 04-13-2009, 07:02 PM

Ian is on a distinguished road
Default 90 gallon build..need help please

Well I said a little while ago that I was starting this build and would put up some pictures so it is time. Tank is 90 gallon I bought used and will have a few small mods done...Herbie overflow and return coming in over the top. Sump is a 33 gallon tank and A Tek 48 inch 8 bulb for lights..I am still deciding on the skimmer but I have some time to decide on that....

I didn't take any of the initial stand build since I used a plan from this site
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...llon/366-1.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...llon/368-1.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...llon/365-1.jpg

Silver stuff in the stand is laminate floor underlay..I puy 3 layers under the stand just to ensure it was level and one layer under the edge of the tank to ensure no pressure points caused me grief....
Today the baffles go into the sump/refugium and I start to do the plumbing

I am looking for suggestions on fish I do want this to be a mixed reef and love the look of Triggers and Tangs which ones would do best in a set-up of this size?

Last edited by Ian; 06-03-2009 at 12:03 AM. Reason: updated
Old 04-13-2009, 07:21 PM

parkinsn is on a distinguished road

Looks good. Just curious though, where are you going to put your skimmer as the space under the stand seems really tight. Or is it going on the tall side?
Old 04-13-2009, 09:55 PM

yeah actually have 25 inchs of space from the bottom of the sump to the bottom of the tank above, it is just the way I skinned the front that makes it look tight. the opening in the front is over 16 alone it is deceptive.The end on the left side of the pic opens for easy access to the area of the sump/fuge that the skimmer will sit in.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:04 AM

Ok started to add water today and leak test.. Should be able to move in the 100 pounds or so of fully cured and ready to go live rock out of the temp tanks and into the nice one soon.
more pics to come
I need some advice on fish now as It will not be long before it is time to start adding......

So far I am interested in
One spot foxface
Blue/regal tang Blue and yellow hippotang
Yellow tang
3-4 chromis
Longfin Fairy Wrasse
mandarin-eventually

Interested in opinions, additions or alternatives if any of these are inappropriate for a mixed reef tank

Old 04-21-2009, 04:03 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I need some advice on fish now as It will not be long before it is time to start adding......

So far I am interested in
One spot foxface
Blue/regal tang Blue and yellow hippotang
Yellow tang
3-4 chromis
Longfin Fairy Wrasse
mandarin-eventually

Interested in opinions, additions or alternatives if any of these are inappropriate for a mixed reef tank
Imo a Hippo gets too big for your tank. I'm getting a 90 this week too, and I will have my Kole tang in it (stays small like Yellow tangs), and I'm considering one of the smaller Foxfaces just because of their algae prowess as I think they are ugly. I may never get one. The Chromis will get quite aggressive when they get bigger, so you may want to reconsider that choice. The Fairy Wrasse is a great choice I think!! You could get two female Wrasses and a male...? The Mandarin will probably do well provided you let the tank mature for a year or so first. A smaller hawkfish could be a good addition, but they often eat ornamental shrimp and smaller snails/hermits. What about Cardinals? Orchid Dottyback? A jawfish? One of the Dartfish (Firefish)?

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:20 AM

YAY water is in warm and holding at 1.023 SG........starting to get excited

Old 05-09-2009, 05:55 AM

So need some more advice...I have had about 100-110 pds of live rock in for just over 2 weeks now and have been testing daily... temp is stable at 79, ph at 8.2, amonia was never high (below 1) and fell to 0,10 days ago, and nitrite levels to 0 the next day....nitrate are now down and have been for a week,below 2ppm. I used rock that was purchased from CR members and used live sand as well. Is it possible that the system is cycled or have I missed something..oh and I have a couple very small unidentified hitchhiker snails cruising around as well..
I am anxious to add some life to the tank but don't want to kill any fish out of haste...
What should I add next if it is time?..cuc,

Old 05-09-2009, 06:11 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Sounds good! When both ammonia and nitrite have been 0 for a week straight and nitrate is below 10 ppm you can add a small clean up crew. Maybe half a dozen Astrea or Trochus and half a dozen Cerith or Nassarius? Personally, I'm not a big fan of hermits since they are predatory. If you do want to add some, just add a few. Scarlets seem to be the lesser of the evils.

SPS fanatic.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:28 AM

Well things seem to be going nicely 75 snails of various kinds added in the last 2 weeks and all tests are good nitrates and nitrites are down, calcium at 440.....nearing time to add some fish....
here are a couple new picksto be checked out
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...llon/051-1.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...on/052-1-1.jpg

Last edited by Ian; 05-21-2009 at 04:30 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:36 AM

I had these come attached to some of the rock that I picked up. They went in 10 days ago and are doing fine

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...gallon/053.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...gallon/054.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...gallon/055.jpg