Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 04-13-2009, 05:13 AM

byee is on a distinguished road
Default ASM G3 Recirculation Modification

I've got a ASM G3 and want to add the recirculation mod to it.

About 2 years ago, there was a ASM site which provided the instructions on the mod. Is this website still around ?? or can anyone provide me with the instructions on the re-circ mod.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:21 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

My suggestion, don't bother with the recirc mod.

I did the gate valve mod, the recirc mod, and the meshwheel mod with this skimmer. The gate valve mod is worthwhile because it makes it easier to adjust, the meshmod is worthwhile because it makes the skimmer into a TREMENDOUS performer (difference is night and day), but the recirculation mod is both a PITA and doesn't make a difference in terms of skimmate production (quantity or quality). And it's very easy to mess up, the hole locations need to be very precise otherwise you'll have a bear of a time getting the pump to attach, or you'll go through various plumbing bits trying to make it fit ... and last but not least it makes the skimmer not able to stand up on its own if you hang the pump off the side, you need to glue on a base or find some other way to stabilize the skimmer in your sump. For me the recirc mod was a disappointment. My advice is do the other two and call it a day. You won't believe how well the meshmod works, seriously, if you haven't done it already, do that one next and see if you really need to go any further, I expect you'll likely find you won't need to.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:23 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

For what it's worth. http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32196&
Old 04-13-2009, 02:27 PM

thanks for the info.

do you know of anyone local fish store who sells the Enkamat mesh ? or anyone else ?
Old 04-13-2009, 03:19 PM

Abbyreefer is on a distinguished road

I've heard that home depot sells it. I've got a G2 and was thinking about doing it to mine as well. Does anyone know if you can buy the wheel from a mod place already complete ?
Old 04-13-2009, 03:22 PM

Skimmin is on a distinguished road

Interesting. I have a ASM G2 that works great now that its recirculated. I can't say that it doubled my skimmate production but there is a significant increase. Acrylic tubing drills so easily with a hole saw. I've re-circ'd 3 of the ASM skimmers and on all three I've 'eyeballed' the hole location. That being said it is probably better to mark and measure. With the current G2 I'm running I also upgraded from the Sedra 3500 to the 5000.(haven't installed the gate valve mod yet) but the skimmer seems to be working great. The other thing is if you don't find re-circ works for you, it is very easy to put a plug in the hole you made and use it as a drain. I've never heard of buying it as a kit but Delphinus has a great step by step guide made for the meshwheel mod
300 Gal 6x3x28 high Starphire peninsula w/external herbie/bean animal hybrid +150 Gal custom sump with 30gal fuge section, (both built by Concept Aquariums Calgary), 3x Ecotech Radion xr30w g2's(soon to be G3 Pros), Jebao DCT 12000 return pump, 2x Jebao RW 20 powerheads, Tunze Ato, Vertex ro/di, Reef Octopus Ext 200 skimmer run internally.

Last edited by Skimmin; 04-13-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmin View Post
Interesting. I have a ASM G2 that works great now that its recirculated. I can't say that it doubled my skimmate production but there is a significant increase. Acrylic tubing drills so easily with a hole saw. I've re-circ'd 3 of the ASM skimmers and on all three I've 'eyeballed' the hole location. That being said it is probably better to mark and measure. With the current G2 I'm running I also upgraded from the Sedra 3500 to the 5000.(haven't installed the gate valve mod yet) but the skimmer seems to be working great. The other thing is if you don't find re-circ works for you, it is very easy to put a plug in the hole you made and use it as a drain. I've never heard of buying it as a kit but Delphinus has a great step by step guide made for the meshwheel mod
Skimmin,

thanks for the reply. when I purchased my ASM 2 years ago, there was a website which provided instructions to the mods available for the skimmer.

I've done the gate valve and it has simplified the setup of the skimmer.

Now I'm looking at the recirculation mod. I'm hoping it'll improve the skimming. if not, then I'll try the mesh mod.

Are there instructions on the web for the re-circ mod ?? or are you able to provide me with instructions ??

BTW, which pump are you using to pump water into your skimmer ??

Able to provide a digital image of your setup ??

thanks !!
Old 04-13-2009, 04:59 PM

Denis is on a distinguished road

This will help.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...&pagenumber=13

150g SPS reef;3x250WHQI,Tunze Streams,Wavebox,Neptune Apex,fishroom in basement ,reefing since 93,SPS since 99.
TOTM June 2010
Old 04-13-2009, 05:53 PM

If you want to try the Enkamat, try this guy, I think he's in the lower mainland like you: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45509

Otherwise maybe try Ocean Aquatics? Maybe Wendell has some? .. I know you can mail order smallish pieces from premiumaquatics.com and maybe some other US based vendors. I see it sometimes pop up on ebay as well so that might be worth a quick check.

I don't know why my recirc mod didn't work but I definitely didn't get any increase in skimmate production or darkness of skimmate. Maybe my situation was a one-off. I find that a lot of sump based skimmers nowadays don't have recirc, even the top dollar models seem to be single-pass. You can easily make the skimmer a psuedo recirculation by having the effluent of the skimmer upstream of the intake, so the recirculation still happens but it happens in concert (so to speak) with your sump. Although if you're comfortable drilling holes in the skimmer then go for it. I ended up not liking how I had it the first time I patched the holes and tried again, so I ended up with a real fugly Frankenstein of a skimmer with diminished resale value (not that these things hold onto much of their retail value anyhow though, so I guess that doesn't really play into things..)

If it was me, I say do the meshmod first because if you don't like it (I would be VERY surprised if you didn't like it, but you never know ), all you need is a new impeller to undo the mod. Those Sedra impellers don't last forever anyhow, so it's a given that sooner or later you'll need a replacement impeller regardless.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:04 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

I did the re-cir, can't say how much improvement but was basically just drilling a hole and finding a uni-seal.

As for the mesh mod, I'm a little more reluctant to try. Anyone come across a dealer who carries the Sedra impellers already mod'd.