Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 04-11-2009, 06:23 AM

Steve-O- is on a distinguished road
Default nano Skimmers?

Hello i was searching JL for a hang on skimmer and i saw 2

Rio Nano Hang-On Protein Skimmer
and
Red Sea Prizm Hang-On Skimmer

Now im looking for somthing for my 10g that works well and isn't to expensive anyone know how well these skimmers perform?
Old 04-11-2009, 06:39 AM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Prizm Would be over kill. i run the rio nano On my 20 And it is too much. you dont need to skim a small tank so i have found from time to time i turn mine off as my tank does worse with 24-7 Skimming. but i highly recommend the rio nano.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyob View Post
Prizm Would be over kill. i run the rio nano On my 20 And it is too much. you dont need to skim a small tank so i have found from time to time i turn mine off as my tank does worse with 24-7 Skimming. but i highly recommend the rio nano.

Nice thanks for the info, do you mean i should maybe hook it up to a timer let it run a few hours a day or should i run it a couple days a week just wanna keep my tank as healthy as possible this site been so helpful so far thanks for all the info!!!
Also how often do u change those filters in the Rio?? i read 4-5weeks so if it doesnt run much should get longer life from the filters or the same lifespan??
Old 04-11-2009, 12:41 PM

TheMikey is on a distinguished road

If you're putting 10-12 lbs of live rock in your 10G and running a low bioload (probably 2 fish + CUC) you won't need a skimmer as long as you do consistent water changes.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:04 PM

Default yup

Dont use a timer. just run it a few days to clean and then off for a few. timer wont work as it does not self prime. i use HBH Carbon pad for filter. change only when "obviously" ready. its awesome but unnecessary for even my 20. but if you want one... try the rio nano
Old 04-13-2009, 05:05 AM

raisemyrent is on a distinguished road

I agree, I run the rio nano and it workes well.. I am obsessed with skimming, so we wont go there, but it is enough. I mess with the skimmer often, so every now and then it doesnt work (because it takes a while to get going again)... I used the carbon filter whiloe I was breaking the tank in and all the ammonia was high and nitrites, and then it got firty and I threw it out and never replaced it.

I ran an 8 gal for years with a very similar set up... it works so long as you have proper live rock, as mentioned before.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:30 AM

Default ha

I had trouble setting it but finally contacted rio direct. the included instructions were bunk but the rep gave me instructions and it runs without an issue. it kept losing its siphon and stopping. but once its set... which is a two minute fix it never stops.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:41 AM

thanks for all the info i got 10lbs of LR and 20lbs of sand in my 10g im gonna order the skimmer anyways seems like a good buy. Gonna setup a small fuge as well, thanks again for all the info i have pics ill post them tomorrow.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:11 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

There is never enough skimming imo, so i would get the biggest skimmer that your system can take.
The worst thing can happen is you get cleaner water rich in O2.
i run two skimmers on my 60 gal tank Deltec rated up to 120 gal and Tunze rated from 58 to 500 gal (!?) And i like 'em both.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:05 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuGlu6 View Post
There is never enough skimming imo, so i would get the biggest skimmer that your system can take.
The worst thing can happen is you get cleaner water rich in O2.
There are some who think skimmers remove more than waste. Some of those proteins, sugars and other complex carbon chains removed could potentially be used by the tank's inhabitants. Many reefers especially nano reefers prefer regular water changes over skimming.