Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-03-2009, 09:08 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Filter Socks...

I am tired of changing them daily. Any real reason to keep using them?

I was just reading a thread on RC where someone had some good points on why not to bother. Especially if you don't change them every day or two. Man, I used to only change them once a week a few years back

Just looking for any reason I may be missing (to keep using them) before I stop using them!

The daily change is getting "old"...
Old 04-03-2009, 09:10 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

I just use them occassionally like when I do a WC and stir up a bunch of a crap.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:16 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

i used to be anal about changing mine too man. Then once i got the beckett skimmer going and the flow that happens in my sump the skimmer picks up everything that flow in to the sump anyways. I think that after while they are great if you are trying to keep your sump clean. Then after awhile the sponges and featherdusters are growing in there so it won't really matter. and if you are feedng the tank with filter food the crap clogs up the sock so i took mine off. i use mine for cleaning the phosban when i add new stuff or the carbon in the sump.....
Old 04-03-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkshiu View Post
I just use them occassionally like when I do a WC and stir up a bunch of a crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
i used to be anal about changing mine too man. Then once i got the beckett skimmer going and the flow that happens in my sump the skimmer picks up everything that flow in to the sump anyways. I think that after while they are great if you are trying to keep your sump clean. Then after awhile the sponges and featherdusters are growing in there so it won't really matter. and if you are feedng the tank with filter food the crap clogs up the sock so i took mine off. i use mine for cleaning the phosban when i add new stuff or the carbon in the sump.....
Yeah that was mentioned in the thread I was reading...they filter out good stuff too, like corals food.

Both of you are kind of saying the same thing, I think I may try going without them for a bit.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:33 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Got a link for the "don't bother" thread at RC? Would be interested to read it.

Maybe I shouldn't admit this but I only change mine out about 2 weeks or so .. it's pretty gross by the time I get around to it, and even still I think it's too danged often considering the PITA I find it to be. Of couse I make it worse by trying to pick off every copepod brittlestar worm stomatella etc. and tossing them back into the tank. And just given how tight the sump area is (tank is a 30" cube so don't have much space at all to work with), it's impossible to remove the filter sock without getting water spilled which of course makes the stand want to rust out even more.

BUT, I'm sort of stuck as the sump has a lot of flow and is short, without the sock the microbubbles are out of control. So for now I think I'm stuck with them, but it would be nice to explore reasons not to bother with the next tank.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Got a link for the "don't bother" thread at RC? Would be interested to read it.

Maybe I shouldn't admit this but I only change mine out about 2 weeks or so .. it's pretty gross by the time I get around to it, and even still I think it's too danged often considering the PITA I find it to be. Of couse I make it worse by trying to pick off every copepod brittlestar worm stomatella etc. and tossing them back into the tank. And just given how tight the sump area is (tank is a 30" cube so don't have much space at all to work with), it's impossible to remove the filter sock without getting water spilled which of course makes the stand want to rust out even more.

BUT, I'm sort of stuck as the sump has a lot of flow and is short, without the sock the microbubbles are out of control. So for now I think I'm stuck with them, but it would be nice to explore reasons not to bother with the next tank.
Well the thread was about all kinds of stuff but filter socks came up. I will get the link.

Basically if they aren't changes every few days, they become nitrate producers. The other point I think was that if you feed your corals then its pointless to have filter socks...although then a skimmer is too. But I guess the point was that you are also taking away coral food (fish poop).
Old 04-03-2009, 10:03 PM

Here...your not going to find a bunch of reasons not to use them. The thread just reminded me of how much I hate using them or changing them daily and I thought I may as well do away with them.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...readid=1609942
Old 04-03-2009, 10:03 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Wondering why you have to change them every day?

I try to get to mine weekly, but often wait until the water starts to spill out of them before swapping.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:06 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

I use them mainly to elliminate bubbles. The bubble king and the returns produce so much that they would enter the display without the socks

J
Old 04-03-2009, 11:05 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

This is why I prefer a tray with a small sheet of filter "floss" media, easier to change out everyday, and you don't have to wash it, just toss it. I use the stuff J&L sells by the roll...very cheap.

SPS fanatic.