Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-31-2009, 03:21 PM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan
Default Our box of Ocean

This is a start to our aquarium keeping. It all started with a trip to Edmonton to pick up some Ball Pythons (0.3 2007 Normal, 1.0 Spotnose, and 0.1 Spider for those interested). On the way out of town we stopped in at Aquarium Illusions to look around. We ended up coming home with a Ocellaris Clown and some Live Rock. Luckily I had this all planned out and had SW already mixed and going at home.

So we come home with out 2 little purchases and some filter material to start our little piece of the ocean.

So the tank went through the cycle and we enjoyed our little clownfish.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:37 PM

Over the last few weeks I added some crushed coral, bought 2 Maxi-Jets and 2 Koralia 2s. Nothing else was really done until the end of march.

I went back down south and on my way back I stopped at Golds in Calgary where the guys in there hooked me up with a new 24" New Wave light and 4 bulbs (1 Actinic, 2 Fiji, and 1 Blue Plus). I also got in another 3 pieces of Live Rock and 2 corals, 1 Torch and 1 Candy Cane.

On the live rock we noticed what a Presume is a button Polyp, upon further inspection I noticed another 2 unopened.

I finished building my stand and the next morning I hung the lights and moved the 15 gallon to its new location.

In addition I was using the 2 Mai-jets but replaced them for 1 Koralia 2 which I think gives the tank better flow compared to the Maxi-jets. The K2 is more GPH but its not as direct of a current and how its spreads out give the tank better water movement. What I would really like is 2 Koralia Nanos. I think this would be awesome in our tank.

Here it is as on last night.

Here is what I think is the button Polyp. What do you guys think?

We are thinking of coming back to Edmonton on Sunday. We would like to add more live rock, maybe a few more frags if we can find some we like, and a flame angel. We have been watching the classifieds as close as we can for some nice frags.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:44 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Nice rock. Great pictures too!
Old 03-31-2009, 03:45 PM

Thanks Leah. The tank doesnt look that blue but its impossible to take pictures without them looking as blue as they are. Its almost like all the camera is picking up is the blue.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:47 PM
Banned

Are you thinking of adding a skimmer or did I miss that?
Old 03-31-2009, 03:49 PM

I didnt mention it but yet we are watching the classified for a skimmer as well. Not alot of people like to ship even when offering to pay shipping and the original asking price. So We watch the classifieds and keep trying to make offers.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:51 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Thanks Leah. The tank doesnt look that blue but its impossible to take pictures without them looking as blue as they are. Its almost like all the camera is picking up is the blue.
It's your white balance. If your camera has a custom white balance option this is the time to learn how to use it. Alternatively, most if not all photo editing software will allow you to adjust colours to compensate for white balance issues.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:52 PM
Banned

Yeah, that does seem to be a problem. Do you think the flame will pick at your corals?
Your clowns look really healthy. And very photogenic. Hehe.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:55 PM

Fkshui I have a kodak 740Z not sure if it has a white balance or not. What software do you reccomend to edit photos.

Leah I have thought about it picking at my corals but I figure its better to add now while I dont have alot fo corals then what I have a tank full and I have to pull the rock apart to capture him.

We only have the 1 clown and yes she/he is quiet the character.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:13 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

I'm not very familar with Kodaks, but you should be able to access it if you switch the camera out of automatic to one of the manual modes. If white balance is available, you should see something like a "WB" icon on the menu somewhere - that's how Canon labels it. To custom set WB (again at least with Canons) you enter the proper setting mode and take a picture of a white card underneath your aquarium lights.

As far as editing software is concerned I just use iPhoto on my Mac, but any pretty much any software out there (including what probably came pre-loaded on your computer) will allow you to make the standard adjustments for colour, exposure etc. Photoshop is, of course, the industry standard but most people won't need to use one tenth of its capabilities.