Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 03-20-2009, 04:00 PM

Barko is on a distinguished road
Default Short in my fixture from spitting fish...

Hi all,

My Teklight T5 seems to be on the fritz and I was wondering if this could be fixed? It's a 36" 4xT5 tube(bulb) fixture with two separate switches.

Basically what is happening is that the lights will come on and then turn off after a few seconds. If I flip the switches on and off a few times it will stay on. I'm wondering if it is a short in the fixture as my fish seem to love splashing it during the day.

I bought it exactly a year ago from a local fish store here in Calgary, but I don't think the store will cover spitting fish as a warranty item.

Is there an easy fix? If not, could someone recommend a good T5 fixture that I could buy to replace this one?

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2009, 04:38 PM

BC564 is on a distinguished road

do you actually use the switches or is the fixture on a timer.....I would take the light apart and either replace the switches or just wire around them if they are not being used. (if on timer)
Old 03-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Maybe think about the acrylic covers J&L sell. Once you rewire.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:16 PM

They are on a timer and it seems that I have to either flick the timer on and off or the switch to get the lights to stay on. I thought it was the timer at first, but I'm pretty sure it is the fixture itself.

Thanks
Old 03-20-2009, 05:18 PM

I thought that it was bad to put a cover over you lights? Something about reducing par... intensity... etc.

Thanks Leah
Old 03-20-2009, 05:22 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

I have the cover on my lights, seems fine. I havn't measured PAR though. I would reallly be interested to know if it does

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 03-20-2009, 06:38 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I assume the lights are in pairs then? Does it happen with both sets? Waterproof endcaps on the fixture? Have you tried new bulbs?

Most newer T5 light setups have ballasts with EOL (end of life) protection. This means it will no longer attempt to light the bulbs if they are worn out. I have a Hagen Glo 36" 2xT5 fixture and it will do similar to what you are experiencing when one of the bulbs is gone. It will light for a second or two and then turn off. My fixture doesn't have any switches to play around with though, it's just on a timer.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:43 PM

parkinsn is on a distinguished road

I am not familiar with the Teck lights but some lights do have thermal trips in them so if they get to hot the will turn off the fixture. Is it the switch or does the light feel hot? Also maybe check the pins on your lamps to see if they are rusted from water hitting them. Its possible that they are not making good contact in the socket and when you are flicking the switch the light is moving slightly and getting them to make contact. But what the heck do I know, just something to check.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:48 PM

xtreme is on a distinguished road

I'm just curious, what type of fish do you have that is doing the spitting?
Old 04-06-2009, 04:13 PM

Default Sorry, lost the thread... Update (Possible Resolution)

Hi everyone...

Sorry about the lack of response. I lost the thread. Anyway... I changed one of the lights and all seems to be working now Thanks for the suggestions.

I was replacing one tube every three months so that none of the tubes were older than 1 year, but I must have mixed one of them up.

BTW, the fish that were spitting/splashing at the lights were the blue throat trigger and the blue hippo tang. That is their way of telling me that they are hungry. The blue throat trigger spits or jumps out of the water while the hippo tang swims up to the surface turns around and flaps its tail so that water splashes up.

At any rate, I think the problem is resolved as the lights come on properly now.

Thanks everyone.