Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Aqua Digital

Old 03-18-2009, 04:41 PM

shrimpchips is on a distinguished road
Default Balling salt purity

what is the purity of the balling salts? I think I know what my system's draw of calcium and alk is over a 24hr period (30 ppm Ca2+, 1 dKh/24hrs), and want to know how much to dose without the crapshoot method that the balling manual tells you to start with.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:44 PM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road

Fauna salts are tested for purity by a chemical lab in Germany batch by batch, I do not know any other manufacturer that does this, so there is no question in regards to the purity.

In regards to a "crapshoot" not quite sure what you are referring to, but to start the system off -

Test you paremeters
dose 50ml of each element
Wait two hours
re- test

Now you know how much 50ml will raise you systems levels by and from there work out you dosing.

Re test daily for the first week to fine tune until you learn your systems draw and then test bi weekly after this.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:50 PM

This is uncertain:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital View Post
Now you know how much 50ml will raise you systems levels by and from there work out you dosing.
As this system is probably designed for fairly large systems, dosing 50ml in a small tank is very different than in a 150g system. I just think the initial dosing could be a lot more accurate if we knew the purity of the chemicals - it's very important to me as I run a nano tank of ~28g total volume, and dosing too much in the small volume could have dramatic consequences.

I need to know if I should set my profilux doser to 1 ml, or if I should go with 50 ml, or somewhere in between. It would be nice to have a ballpark figure so I can figure out the approximate molarity of the stock solution before I go an add it to my small system, as I have several inhabitants that I have found to be very sensitive to swings in alkalinity in particular.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:14 PM

Treat the salts as 100% pure you will not be far off. The only other thing added to the salts are some key elements not found in other salts that help increase colouration.

If you are worried about overdosing then start at 10ml and go from there, it just may take longer and more tests for you to get you key level.

There is no science to this other than obtaining the right level based on your inhabitants consumption of minerals, and as no teo tanks are the same you can not give accurate dosings for a client to start with only a ball park figure.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:24 PM

Yeah, I just wanted a figure whether to treat the salts as lab-grade, or lower in purity.

To the average hobbyist, it may not be an exact science, but there is an exact science to it, and it can make a huge difference if you know what you're doing. If you know the purity of the chemicals you're putting in and you also know a ballpark consumption rate of these elements in your tank - it wastes less time trying to get it dialed in and results in less stressful swings in parameters.

Again, this is more a concern to me as I have a small system, where as other users probably are running much larger systems where 10ml of concentrated CaCl2 isn't going to raise their Ca2+ by 100ppm.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:04 PM

Lab grade,

These salts are NOT new to the market, fauna marin have been supplying these salts world wide for over 2 years and are probbaly the most respected salt in the industry

You will not find one single report of issues with these salts, in fact the complete opposite applies.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital View Post
Lab grade,

These salts are NOT new to the market, fauna marin have been supplying these salts world wide for over 2 years and are probbaly the most respected salt in the industry

You will not find one single report of issues with these salts, in fact the complete opposite applies.
Nope. Not questioning them at all. I've seen the proof firsthand

I'm looking forward to seeing my little system with them