Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 02-25-2009, 04:20 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Naso Tangs

How well do they get along? I am just talking about the regular "Lipstick" Naso Tangs. I have seen a few people keep them in pairs. I guess they are not actually pairs but do tolerate each other. From what I have read, they are one of the most passive tangs out there.

What I am getting at, is that I have always wanted a "pair". If Im being honest with myself, I kind of know my tank is not really big enough but for some reason I am still looking into it

I am not even sure the tank is big enough for one They get so huge.

But what was your experience if you tried two?

I doubt I will try it but again...for some reason I am looking into it
Old 02-25-2009, 05:02 AM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

Strange I was wondering this same thing myself. I don't want to keep a pair but they are so easy to sex, I would think people would have done it.

When I asked at the LFS as the why it is not common I was told if the male does not accept the female he will kill her. I don't know much truth there is to it, but it must have happened before t have that info.

My naso is my favorite fish. She is so interactive and such a peace keeper of my tank.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:58 AM

Yeah mine is one of my fav fish too. "He" is soooo docile and calm. Seems like such a thoughtful fish. I would love a "pair" but don't know that I would ever risk it and don't think my tank is big enough anyways.

I also don't know yet if mine is male or female. "He" is a little too small still to know. It does look like "he" may be getting the streamers but maybe not. Hard to tell.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:08 PM

They really do seem insightful and thoughtful for sure. When my Majestic fell ill and I was trying to to swim her around, my naso came and helped me with her. She would swim on the other side of my hand to hold the angel upright, and would watch her and not allow other fish to come near the angel. It was very touching to see. She guards the baby fish and makes sure no harm comes to them. If the three other tangs quarrel, she comes and breaks it up. When the other tangs see her coming they disperse very quickly. I know that fish thinks and has feelings more so then the others.

From a terrified fish that almost starved to death she has become robust and will eat nori from my hands (only thing she eats to this date but working on it and giving selcon to compensate). She swims into my hand and I can run my fingers along her topline. She looks like velvet but she feels like sandpaper.

If I could only keep one fish, she would be the one to stay. I would never part with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
Yeah mine is one of my fav fish too. "He" is soooo docile and calm. Seems like such a thoughtful fish. I would love a "pair" but don't know that I would ever risk it and don't think my tank is big enough anyways.

I also don't know yet if mine is male or female. "He" is a little too small still to know. It does look like "he" may be getting the streamers but maybe not. Hard to tell.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:35 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

I love Naso tangs but I would never keep one unless I had 500+ gallons. When they grop up they get huge!

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 02-25-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital-audiophile View Post
I love Naso tangs but I would never keep one unless I had 500+ gallons. When they grop up they get huge!
Seems kind of excessive. With this kind of thinking (relative fish size to tank size), there are not many fish you can keep in any tank.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Seems excessive until you walk into Ocean City in Calgary. Theirs is the biggest I've ever seen and he's not done growing. I planned for a Naso as my main fish but have since decided to go with smaller fish...a Kole being my largest.

It's all up to you of course...any of this is just opinion. I think you're pushing it a bit with one Naso...two would be too much I think.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:57 PM

There is one that same size at Wais to this day but the tank is tiny. I wanted to rescue the poor guy, but was discouraged from doing so. I notice these fish at these stres have giant overgrown teeth and mine does not. I wonder if they keep their teeth down on liverock from eating algae, or if their teeth turn into monster size when they get that big. I did notice the tanks with the big fish have no rock, so I am thinking the teeth are overgrown,

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Seems excessive until you walk into Ocean City in Calgary. Theirs is the biggest I've ever seen and he's not done growing. I planned for a Naso as my main fish but have since decided to go with smaller fish...a Kole being my largest.

It's all up to you of course...any of this is just opinion. I think you're pushing it a bit with one Naso...two would be too much I think.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:59 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

the Oceans fish, that's the exact fish I was thinking of. Beautiful fish but it needs something big to swim in.

Call me the tang police, but IMO Zebramosa sp. are much better suited to aquarium life

The problem with the hobby, and to the fault of LFS when you see Naso's and unicorns tangs and so forth they are fairly small specimens that do not really give you an idea of what they are going to grow up to be.

In the end this is just my opinion, everyone can stock their tanks however they see fit, I just know that unless I had a HUGE tank I would not even consider one.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 02-25-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post

Yeah like I said, I doubt I would ever do it.

I have seen one pretty close to full grown (about 14") in a 180G tank and IMO he was fine.