Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 02-10-2009, 07:12 AM

foreverfortune is on a distinguished road
Default sexing Blue Spot Jawfish

i just purchased a blue spot jawfish the other day. i made him a diy home but i guess he decided that he was a better builder than i am so he dug out his own, beside mine.
have had no troubles with the introduction, i just dropped him in and he started making his home within 10 min, and readily ate when i feed the tank.
he is so neat that i am already thinking of finding him/her a mate. only problem is i cant really find any real info on how to tell male/female apart. have read some info saying males have bigger head, have 2 dark spots around the head. and 2 males will fight. the only sure way to sex is durring mating when male goes through a color change. but i need to find a pair before i can even see the color change.

heres some pics of mine dont know if male ore female. anyone have any links that may help? thanks

Old 02-10-2009, 07:16 AM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

I don't know how to sex them sorry, but make sure you have a very very very secure, fully covered top on the tank...they can and will get out of even the smallest area that is left open. Good luck, they are awesome fish!

Old 02-10-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaloupa View Post
I don't know how to sex them sorry, but make sure you have a very very very secure, fully covered top on the tank...they can and will get out of even the smallest area that is left open. Good luck, they are awesome fish!
yes thanks, i have my canopy glassed and egg crated in, have read that they are nortorious for carpet surfing.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:21 AM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

Yep, notorious is an understatement! My friends tank was completely covered in glass with a very small opening at the back that was double egg-crated and after a few months out it jumped.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:57 AM

nanoreefer is on a distinguished road

iam not sure what size tank you have but if its over 4' i would say just get another one if you like, and they will take oposite sides of the tank, even if there a pair they wont stay in the same hole mabie just afew inches apart but aside from mateing they wont do much as a "pair",

and egg crate wont keep them in

off topic but did you get it at J&L? i was looking at the ones they had sure wish i could afford one
Old 02-10-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoreefer View Post
iam not sure what size tank you have but if its over 4' i would say just get another one if you like, and they will take oposite sides of the tank, even if there a pair they wont stay in the same hole mabie just afew inches apart but aside from mateing they wont do much as a "pair",

and egg crate wont keep them in

off topic but did you get it at J&L? i was looking at the ones they had sure wish i could afford one
yes this one came from J&L, was told there were 2 but one sold before i bought the second one.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:53 AM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverfortune View Post
yes this one came from J&L, was told there were 2 but one sold before i bought the second one.
Even if they don't pair up the antics of two jawfish in a tank is priceless. That being said I had a really big tank when i did this. Jawfish can and will kill each other if they feel threatened.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

What a beautiful fish. This is one that I would love to have but I already have enough problems with fish carpet (or hardwood) surfing.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Wow man looks like your fish settled right in.... You must have the magic touch!

I am planning to put one in my new 50g set up however I want to wait a year keep us posted on the pics.

And btw the acropora just to the left above his burrow is that a robins egg stag?

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 02-11-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
Wow man looks like your fish settled right in.... You must have the magic touch!

I am planning to put one in my new 50g set up however I want to wait a year keep us posted on the pics.

And btw the acropora just to the left above his burrow is that a robins egg stag?

yea that is the robin's egg, it has gotten a little darker than i like but should lighten up when i get my zeo dosing down.