Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-03-2009, 11:38 PM

jus68 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation How long can a tank go without power for? FYI: power outage in Coq, Burnaby and NW

How long can a tank go without airation?

I have a 75gal reef and the power has been out for an hour. I'm not too concern about the temperature but the power is estimated to be back on in 3 hours. So I go buy a battery operated airpump???

For those that live around Coq, Burnaby, New West, here's the area affected:
http://www.bchydro.com/outages/orsMa...utageid=448755
Old 02-03-2009, 11:47 PM

0sprey is on a distinguished road

Three hours isn't too long, I've had power out for that long without any repercussions... but if you're nervous about it, you can achieve the same effect by taking a pitcher of water out of the tank and pouring it back in a few times.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:49 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

I've had power out here for atleast that long. Everything fine. But the bucket and splash some water around in the tank every once in a while is a great idea

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 02-04-2009, 12:15 AM

agent77 is on a distinguished road

Thats the best way and you should do it about every two to three hours . As long as fish aren't going to the top gasping you should be fine . Good luck
Old 02-04-2009, 12:25 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

i usually run an extension cord from my car (via inverter) and run an air pump with stone.

i was notified of a full day without power due to upgrades so now i have a little generator i got for $100 at CT. i could run 3 tanks and a tv and DVD off it. I think its 1000 W
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:57 AM

o.c.d. is on a distinguished road

If you have a cordless drill you can mod a kitchen spatula to fit the chuck and spin or run out and buy a real paint mixer that fits your drill. That assuming you have one. Or siphion tank water in bucket and pour back in like a surge devise. Same as the pitcher method just upscale. I bought a battery back up that switches on when the power goes out so if I'm not hm it will still turn on, it will keep a single powerhead on for long long time esp the low watt units. Then for extra back up I have a generator.

Last edited by o.c.d.; 02-04-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:15 AM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.c.d. View Post
If you have a cordless drill you can mod a kitchen spatula to fit the chuck and spin or run out and buy a real paint mixer that fits your drill. That assuming you have one. Or siphion tank water in bucket and pour back in like a surge devise. Same as the pitcher method just upscale. I bought a battery back up that switches on when the power goes out so if I'm not hm it will still turn on, it will keep a single powerhead on for long long time esp the low watt units. Then for extra back up I have a generator.
Bahahaha. Who needs powerheads when you can use a paint mixer!

And then the builds appear for whirlpool tanks....