Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 01-10-2009, 06:55 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital
Default Butterflies!! Who's got em.... in a Reef.

So I have been trying to come up with something different for the 40cube I've been working on in regards to stocking...

It will be a reef tank, SPS up top and Zoas down low. I was pondering the idea of having a Butterfly as the "Main attraction" but not sure if they are all reef munchers, or any that are "more" reef safe than others...

Any member here have one (or more) in a reef tank? if so, which one?

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 01-10-2009, 07:05 PM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

I've kept a few different types. Most munch one thing or another. Probably the best one was the Golden, and she loved aiptasia to boot. However, you will be hard pressed to keep a butterfly in a tank that small.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:48 PM

seanoman is on a distinguished road

I currently have a Racoon Butterfly in our 225 gallon SPS only Reef. It will nip at the corals a little bit, but only usually when the coral is first introduced. Other than that, It only eats clams or other fresh seafood. It will not eat mysis or pellet. Other than that, I absolutely love this fish, it has so much personality and is just beautiful.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:50 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Ya, I think 40g is too small for any Butterfly. What about a nice Fairy Wrasse?

Also, keeping zoas with SPS isn't the best idea as the zoas release toxins that irritate SPS. Zoas have a tendency to take over like a weed too, and will sting and damage SPS. If you do try it, you will have to run a significant amount of carbon to absorb the toxins from the zoas, and large amounts of carbon are also known to reduce polyp extension on SPS. It's kind of a lose, lose situation.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:04 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

^^ Interesting info Myka... I know Zoas are toxic, but did not know they actively release toxins into the water column.. Will have to look into that more. Thanks.

I wanted something different in regards to fish... Everyone has Tangs, Clowns, Wrasses, etc... I don't think I have come across a tank on Canreef (except for seanoman mentioning his/her tank just now) where there is a Butterfly..

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988

Last edited by JDigital; 01-10-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:23 PM

Mrfish55 is on a distinguished road

Quite a few people keep Copper Band Butterflies (Marie has a beauty) mine was doing well untill the coral band shrimp got hold of him I would have to agree that 40gal is too small for a butterfly.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:41 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
^^ Interesting info Myka... I know Zoas are toxic, but did not know they actively release toxins into the water column.. Will have to look into that more. Thanks.
You're welcome. Leathers also release toxins into the water. In fact, most corals have the ability, some are just worse than others.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:57 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Ya, I think 40g is too small for any Butterfly. What about a nice Fairy Wrasse?

Also, keeping zoas with SPS isn't the best idea as the zoas release toxins that irritate SPS. Zoas have a tendency to take over like a weed too, and will sting and damage SPS. If you do try it, you will have to run a significant amount of carbon to absorb the toxins from the zoas, and large amounts of carbon are also known to reduce polyp extension on SPS. It's kind of a lose, lose situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
You're welcome. Leathers also release toxins into the water. In fact, most corals have the ability, some are just worse than others.
Good info to know. We have a lot of zoos in our tank and run carbon, in the past we have never been able to keep SPS, the zoos never touched the SPS but still, it makes me wonder. I always just thought it was bad lighting/flow not enough calcium or something, but maybe not.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:01 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
^^
I wanted something different in regards to fish... Everyone has Tangs, Clowns, Wrasses, etc... I don't think I have come across a tank on Canreef (except for seanoman mentioning his/her tank just now) where there is a Butterfly..

Emily B keeps Butterflys, or at least she used to. Beautiful tank and fish.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:16 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Emily B keeps Butterflys, or at least she used to. Beautiful tank and fish.
Thank you, I posted....he never noticed I guess.....