Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 05-16-2003, 07:50 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road
Default J&L Live Rock Order

i am planning to order 70 lbs of kanai rock from J&L next week, i am wondering if someone else wants some so we can get a cheaper price and combined shipping. i also have an ulterior motive, in that i have a tight schedule, and if the stuff arrives in calgary on a tuesday, wednesday or thursday morning, i won't be able to pick it up until the evening. i would feel much more comfortable knowing that someone in calgary was able to grab it for me and make sure it's in good hands until i can make it up (even spray it with some water for me in the meantime). if anyone is interested, let me know as soon as possible, as we need to prebook by at the latest, the 23rd (one week from now).

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 05-16-2003, 08:59 PM

come on people, don't let me down

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 05-16-2003, 09:11 PM

AJ_77 is on a distinguished road

They won't deliver to Red Deer??
Old 05-16-2003, 10:39 PM

Beverly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_77
They won't deliver to Red Deer??
I think teevee's main concern is that he won't be able to pick up the rock at certain times and on certain days, whether in Red Deer or Calgary, and he needs someone to make sure the rock is picked up if it arrives at those times/days.

teevee, if they can ship to Red Deer, it's not that big a big deal if the rock sits in the box during the day while you're in class. Remember, the rock has already been shipped half way around the world in similar boxes. So a little sitting around in RD isn't going to damage it too much, imo. Even if you ship it to Cal and it sits there during the day, I'm sure the rock will still be okay.

Don't worry, those crabs that'll be hiding some place on the rock will still be there, too ;-)

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel
Old 05-17-2003, 03:38 AM

they can ship it to red deer via greyhound (the red deer airport apparently has no purpose other than to host air shows), but some folks on RC chat, as well as john at J&L, said two days in the box is a bad thing. however if you people all think that's ok, then i'll go for it. because you're right, really. it will already have been curing from kenai to vancouver, may as well cure a bit more on the bus ride through the mountains. so no one wants to get in on the cheap unit cost? you have until monday to make the call.

Old 05-17-2003, 03:48 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Bus ride... Are you serious??

Mine always came on the plane. I got the uncured. (maybe in the original boxes from Walt Smith, in my case). The plastic was not sealed but rather a large open bag around the rock. The boxes usually arrived somewhat wet. (Strong boxes tho...)

Hopefully it will get above freezing here soon.......