Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > New to the Hobby

Old 05-15-2003, 12:37 PM

Don E is on a distinguished road
Default Wanna make a good deep sand bed

Hello again-

This site kicks butt, by the way.

I'm setting up a 20G which will eventually be a no-fish nano. I am currently cycling about 25 lbs of very porous "lace rock" from big Al's- this is some kind of limestone. Once it cycles, I will add a little bit of cured live rock.

I have about 2-3" of Caribsea "seaflor grade" sand in there. Is that enough? Should I have gone with the finer "aragamax"? I still have time to add more sand if I need to.

Any and all advice welcome!

Don
Old 05-15-2003, 03:13 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Don, I would have gone primarily with the sugar sand if you're only adding 2 or 3 inches. IMO, this would give you greater denitrification. Now that you've added the seaflor, you can still add some finer sand. It will tend to work it's way to the bottom of the DSB though, leaving the coarser stuff on the top. This could be good if you're planning heavy flow in there. In the end, whatever works and looks good to your eye is what matters.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:58 PM

Old Guy is on a distinguished road

If it is a no fish nano, would that mean there would be no food added at all? If so I would think you will be quite ok.
Old 05-16-2003, 05:08 PM

Beverly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guy
If it is a no fish nano, would that mean there would be no food added at all? If so I would think you will be quite ok.
What are you planning on keeping in the nano if not fish? Corals, mobile inverts? If so, they will still need to be fed.

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel
Old 05-17-2003, 04:17 AM

Thanks for your responses-

I'm thinking mushrooms, colt, finger leather, maybe a candy cane, green star polyp, that kind of thing. For mobile inverts, definitely about six astrea snails, six to ten blue-leg hermits, all the 'pods I can reasonably support, and one cleaner shrimp just because they're so cool.

Yes, I will have to feed- I'm not sure how much, yet. More research to do... maybe that's a question for another thread.

Thanks for your input re: the sand bed. More suggestions welcome!

Don
Old 05-17-2003, 05:13 AM

AJ_77 is on a distinguished road

I agree that some sugar-sized sand would be of benefit. I have seen and had greatest success with sandbeds made up of mixed-grain sizes, with a healthy amount of the tiny stuff.

I also have a Tree/Colt coral that is a medium size and needs a new home. I'm in town, let me know if you would like more info.

Cheers,
Old 05-17-2003, 12:14 PM

Ok, I will try some finer sand too.

Thanks very much for the offer- I will be cycled in another month or so and I'll definitely take you up on the colt/tree once the water is in good shape!

don
Old 05-17-2003, 05:04 PM

Beverly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don E
all the 'pods I can reasonably support, and one cleaner shrimp just because they're so cool.
Our two cleaner shrimp in our 42 gal have cleaned up all the pods I suspect the two peppermint shrimp are doing in the pods in our 14 gal seahorse tank. In our 2.5 gal tank the two "sexy" shrimp have probably eaten all the pods in there by now and are now going after the food I feed that tank.

I think shrimp have all day to cruise a tank and eat anything that'll fit into their little mouths. However, all our shrimp are very cool, even though pod populations in all our tanks have taken a big hit.

HTH.

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel