Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-13-2003, 01:36 AM

spikehs is on a distinguished road
Default sound waves a problem?

I am trying to decide on where to put the new tank, and would like to put it into the home theater room. The problem is that it's quite small (10feetx10feet or so) and there is lots of speakers + sub. Would the sound waves bother anything in the tank? I though it might, but wasn't sure....thanks,

Sean
Old 05-13-2003, 01:59 AM

Trevor Robertson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Trevor Robertson

I don't have any real answer for you, but I have been told many times not to put your tanks near large speakers as they can cause problems with fish (I am not sure about corals though).

Having said this I have had 2 freshwater tanks near my speaker set up and have never had a problem.

I hope that that is contradicting enough for you.
Old 05-13-2003, 02:09 AM

Old Guy is on a distinguished road

My fish don't seem to mind the music and I could have sworn I caught my Paki's watching Martha with my wife just the other day .
Old 05-13-2003, 03:47 AM
UnderWorldAquatics

I have a large reef setup fairly close to my tv/stero, I play music very loud, watch movies even louder and have many large speakers and a large sub. It hasnt seemed to bother anything...
Old 05-13-2003, 04:02 AM

Jack is on a distinguished road

I have speakers in my room and I watch movies all the time. Doesn't seem to bother anything really and I thought it would. Been like this for years with many different tanks from 10 to 120 gallons.

We should all put on ocean nature soundtracks.. you know the ones with waves crashing, rain and lightning
Old 05-13-2003, 06:49 AM

canadawest is on a distinguished road

I have my 12 gal Eclipse tank (nursery/hospital tank) in my theatre room as well and none of the inhabitants seem to mind. And this is a full fledged 5.1 surround theatre room that isn't very big and can get very loud, not to mention even just stereo music that gets played quite loudly in my house.

Haven't seen any of the inhabitants wearing earplugs yet.

And on a related thread, I seem to remember reading about a study done on just such a topic a year or so back, and it was concluded that sound waves radiating through the air (regardless of volume) were poorly conducted by the water, and as such had very low intensity when measured under water. This seemed contrary to the fact that sound waves produced under water will travel much farther and at higher intensities than sound waves through air.

Not sure where I read this study, but it was very interesting and had diminished my concerns of me creating "noise polution" in my tanks.

Andrew B.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:16 AM

Samw is on a distinguished road

hm, well, I must be the only one whose fish gets freaked out by noise then.

When I watch TV, no problem because sound only comes out of the TV. When I watch a DVD and have sound coming out of my old 80 Watt surround sound Sony Receiver and speakers, my fish get all freaked out. Quite often a boom would cause some of them to dash around. When I approach the tank during the movie, they sometimes dash off as if danger was approaching as opposed to greeting me like they normally do.

When there is construction outside (17 new Concord Pacific buildings are being built in front of my condo), they sometimes get annoyed as well and freak out when I approach the tank and sometimes dash around when an unexpected bang is heard.

Its an in-wall tank if it makes any difference.