Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 12-10-2008, 02:43 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough
Default Spotted sand diver eel

Spotted sand diver eel/Filamented sand eel is what I bought today. I was going to take a picture of him but he dove into the sand before I got a chance to. Here is a picture of what they look like.

There is very little info on them. The one I bought is eating frozen foods plus I have a large sand bed of worms etc. for him to eat, so he should be fine.

Anyone know anything about them or have any personal experience with them? I'm hoping he'll come out of the sand every now and then and I'll be able to see him, but I can't find him now....

Last edited by fishoholic; 12-10-2008 at 03:53 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:51 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Wow he's perty. Love those flourescent green spots.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Wow he's perty. Love those flourescent green spots.
Thanks, his spots are more blue then green but he's pretty cool. I just hope I'll see him again.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:34 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

sweet blenny. never seen one of those before. a short search of wet web and peteducation says it is not an easily kept fish and is a good jumper. hope it keeps eating frozens for you. Is there anything else that eats stuff in the sand bed in your tank like sand sifting stars or sand sifting gobies? he should be finein a 230g, bu I might worry if he's competing for food in it.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinl View Post
sweet blenny. never seen one of those before. a short search of wet web and peteducation says it is not an easily kept fish and is a good jumper. hope it keeps eating frozens for you. Is there anything else that eats stuff in the sand bed in your tank like sand sifting stars or sand sifting gobies? he should be finein a 230g, bu I might worry if he's competing for food in it.
There is a sand sifting goby in there, but he mostly eats pellets and mysis. I saw the sand diver eel eat frozen chunks of silversides at the LFS I bought him from, and I think he eats mysis too. My main concern is what if I can't find him to spot feed him. At the LFS Mike put the food close to him and he came out of the sand and traveled up a little bit to eat it. He was in a 180g in the LFS and was able to see him easily in their tank, I kinda thought I'd be able to at least see his little head poke out in mine. I guess it's only been a few hours so hopefully over the next few days he'll come out and I'll see him. BTW I never seen or heard of one before either, I think that's why I had to have him
Old 12-11-2008, 08:23 PM

Default update

I (sort of) saw my eel in the tank last night. I saw his tail sticking out and I saw his side sticking out of the sand, I guess he got his colour back because now he looks very close to the picture above. We moved the sand around in front of him and he wiggled his tail so at least we know he's still alive I haven't seen him eat yet but there is a lot of live worms/pods/baby mysis etc. in the tank for him to eat. My concern is that his head is buried under the sand. In the lfs his head was poking out of the sand and only his body was covered. Not sure what to think....?????

Edit: I called the lfs and asked, He let me know that it will take about 2 weeks to a month for them to be comfortable in the tank. Once they're comfortable in the tank they will poke their heads out from the sand more often and they will come out and even swim around a bit with the other fish.

Last edited by fishoholic; 12-11-2008 at 08:35 PM.