Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics livestock related only)

Old 12-05-2008, 05:21 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus
Default Pest refuge anyone? .. little crab to give away

Caught a little red-eyed crab (size of the little BC beach crabs) tonight. I know a couple people have 5gals or whatever for pest critters .. anyone want to spare this guy his fate that he'll face if I'm left to my own devices with him? I have rock in my sumps into which he'll disappear so sumping him isn't an option for me. Or anyone with an eel or octopus want a treat for them?
Old 12-05-2008, 05:32 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

I don't mean to hijack, but why does no one ever seem to get small unwanted hitch hiker crabs in vancouver?! My peacock mantis would love you for them!
Old 12-05-2008, 05:40 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

To be honest the most crab-laden rock I ever got (3 years on, I'm still convinced there are a solid half-dozen of the little buggers in there, I keep finding their discarded molts) came from a well-reputed store in BC.

Oh yes, mantis tanks. I forgot to list those.

I'd offer him to my eel but the eel already leaves alone the emerald crabs in the tank with him..
Old 12-05-2008, 05:48 AM

Oxymoron is on a distinguished road

May I ask how you caught him? I have one I need to catch as well.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:55 AM

The rock he was in, is in my carpet tank, and it's covered in aiptasia. I wanted to move it into my 75g so my CBB can work over the rock. When I pulled the rock out of the water I thought I saw something scurry inside a hole. I couldn't be 100% sure though when I looked it over but then I noticed that one of my abalones was also inside the rock. I tried to see if I could dislodge him to put him back in the other tank but I couldn't. But in so doing I noticed the crab again and I just got lucky in that I was able to get some tweezers on him and flick him out of the hole.

It's almost impossible (well, for me it's impossible) to catch crabs inside the tank, unless they do something dumb late at night like walk up to the glass out in the open. Been able to catch two that way but you have to be fast because once they're onto you there's no hope of catching them.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:07 PM

Diana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
To be honest the most crab-laden rock I ever got (3 years on, I'm still convinced there are a solid half-dozen of the little buggers in there, I keep finding their discarded molts) came from a well-reputed store in BC.
Ah! That must mean the rock was healthy! I find the more hitchers you get the better the rock ends up looking.... if you can control the lil 'uggers.

Alas, my puff puff and triggers would love that little crabby friend.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:45 PM

BC564 is on a distinguished road

I will take him if your still trying to find a home for him
Old 12-11-2008, 08:56 PM

bleevin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinl View Post
I don't mean to hijack, but why does no one ever seem to get small unwanted hitch hiker crabs in vancouver?! My peacock mantis would love you for them!
If you can give me a sure fire way to catch crabs I've got a couple thumbsized crabs I need to get out of my display tank that you can have.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:48 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

I would take him too, for my puffer...
Old 12-11-2008, 09:53 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

I'm looking for something in my macro fuge in Edm