Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-04-2008, 04:39 AM

andestang is on a distinguished road
Default Problem with Sedra's

Been having trouble with my Sedra 5000's on my euroreef skimmer. They quit working after about half a day, give or take (not usually at the same time). I've taken them apart and cleaned everything with vinegar and even tried the guts out of another sedra from another euroreef I have sitting around and the same thing. I can usually get them going if I unplug them for 5-10 minutes or so. Anyone ever have similar conditions ? I'm hoping a don't need a couple of pumps at once

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:48 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

If you have the spare Sedra, try replacing the volute. If the impeller is wiggling because of sloppiness in the hole in the volute, the impeller may be rubbing inside and generating heat. If you still had the problem when you used a different impeller, then the pump body or the volute has to be the problem.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 12-04-2008, 05:26 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Can't remember, did you mesh mod them?

I had the same problem with mine. Noticed the magnet of the impeller wasn't perfectly cylindrical after about 2 years. Who knows, maybe it would have happened anyhow eventually and just the meshmod sped it along or maybe it was just the meshmod that contributed to the uneven wear and tear.

Anyhow if that's the case you may need a new impeller.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:48 AM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

Here is a known problem with Sedra's I have read about and experienced with the Sedra 5000 on my (ex) Euroreef.

The impeller has a magnetic material which is a powder inside the plastic impeller casing. After a couple of years the impeller swells up until it starts to bind inside the motor, then you need to buy a new impeller.
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge
Old 12-04-2008, 07:36 AM

foreverfortune is on a distinguished road

this si why i needed replacement of mine, turns on and off every so often, bought a new pump and realized that my impeller was swelled compared to the new one, this could have been the problem, havent tested it yet
Old 12-04-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Can't remember, did you mesh mod them?

I had the same problem with mine. Noticed the magnet of the impeller wasn't perfectly cylindrical after about 2 years. Who knows, maybe it would have happened anyhow eventually and just the meshmod sped it along or maybe it was just the meshmod that contributed to the uneven wear and tear.

Anyhow if that's the case you may need a new impeller.
No, but I was seriously thinking about it. Been trying to get my hand on a small amount of the stuff.

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap View Post
Here is a known problem with Sedra's I have read about and experienced with the Sedra 5000 on my (ex) Euroreef.

The impeller has a magnetic material which is a powder inside the plastic impeller casing. After a couple of years the impeller swells up until it starts to bind inside the motor, then you need to buy a new impeller.
Thanks, I'll pull them apart again(such fun ) and see if I can tell. Anyone know who carries parts for these pumps ?

Old 12-04-2008, 05:11 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Drop by sometime I have a tiny amount kicking around. Sold my ASM so no skimmer currently that I can meshmod anyhow.

Wendell (OceanAquatics) has Sedra parts. I've gotten both the pumps and replacement impellers from him in the past (both regular pump impellers and needlewheel impellers)..
Old 12-04-2008, 05:15 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

where ever you get parts from this post seems might have to be careful to get the right ones
Old 12-04-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Drop by sometime I have a tiny amount kicking around. Sold my ASM so no skimmer currently that I can meshmod anyhow.

Wendell (OceanAquatics) has Sedra parts. I've gotten both the pumps and replacement impellers from him in the past (both regular pump impellers and needlewheel impellers)..
Thanks Tony, that would be great - hoping its a worthwhile mod.