Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-02-2008, 08:15 PM

MikeP is on a distinguished road
Default MikeP's 190g mixed reef...

Well we're at the year and a half mark. I planned on doing a tank journal thread from the get go but never did get around to it. Better late than never I guess.

Here is what I started with.

The tank was my fathers and he had it set up as a fresh water system for quite a while until the center brace came 'unsiliconed' and he emptied it. He had planned on doing salt and after the tank sat empty for years he finally said I could have it (I had being doing fresh water for a few years and recently started a nano reef). So obviously it needed a little work, I had it rebraced and retrimed and then resiliconed it myself.

Here was the stand...

It's really a metal stand covered with wood. I removed all the wood and was left with this...

I had it strengthened with some additional steel tubing welded in the center (front, back and top) thanks to a fellow Canreefer with welding skills. Then I repainted and started with the woodwork to cover up the metal.

Here is a pic of the stand in progress...

I didn't want to hang lights from the ceiling so I had some brackets welded up that I could attach to the back of the stand and adjust. The lights were 175w MH, I upgraded to 250w about a year ago, then I added a third MH in the middle of the tank and the most recent upgrade is LumenMax reflectors which have made a significant difference. I Also have two 54w fiji purple HOT5's that run along the back of the canopy...

Here's the sump (back when it was clean)...

Here is the tank when it was first filled in May 2007...

The aquascaping changed a few times and to this day I wish I'd done it a little different. Here is a full room shot taken Sept 15th...

Stuff that I added over time have been a second phosban reactor to run carbon, 18 watt UV sterilizer, auto top off system, Seio wavemaker and I'm sure theres other stuff I'm forgeting about. I'll do some other posts later with pics of what's living in the tank.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:30 PM

fdiddy is on a distinguished road

Looks great! Thanks for the pics. Aquascaping is one of those things that you never seem to get perfect :P
Old 12-02-2008, 10:46 PM

xtreme is on a distinguished road

Very Nice! What are the dimensions of that tank?
Old 12-02-2008, 10:46 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks really nice!

DO you have progression pics of the corals growing? You have some nice big colonies there. I would love to see more pics.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:54 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

What color temp are your bulbs? Doesn't look very blue at all and I actually think it looks fantastic.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:15 PM

MikeP is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the comments. The tank is 60x24x30, I do have some progression pics but not to many, I'll post em later. The bulbs are 14000k on either end and 10000k in the middle. It's pretty white looking but I had 20000k bulbs before and it was way too blue.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:46 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Geez what took you so long Looks good bud.
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 12-03-2008, 03:00 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

looks great man keep it up the tank looks like it was painted love the leathers in there .
Old 12-03-2008, 05:17 AM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Really nice, man!

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 12-03-2008, 06:38 AM

fooser is on a distinguished road

Looking good Mike! Looks even nicer than when I was over, you must have been putting some time in your tank lately! And yah, i agree that your colonies look big haha Maybe after I finish exams you should come over to see my tank and give me your opinion!