Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-01-2008, 02:54 AM

Boomboy is on a distinguished road
Default Booms cube-80

FRONT PAGE FTS.

CURRENT

Well, i thought i would start a build thread for this tank, because im a little stuck on a few things, and opinions would be great, any even. Well i ordered the tank a while ago, and i should be picking it up on tuesday,
the tank is 28x28x24, with external 1.5" herbie overflow,
the return back through the overflow with a manifold system on top.
Also have 2 drains on the bottom and 2 returns for the CL.
Im going with a 2" SSB because i love the look of sand and also plan on building up the rock work in order to get a unique look to it rather than just a big island in the middle of the whole thing.
I ordered a vertex 100 for the whole thing.

A few problems i have run into is, the skimmer take up about half the sump( which i will be using a 20H and putting baffles in myself) but i would really like a fuge in the system. but it doesn't leave to much open for that.

The CL system, i was planning on using a QO 4000HH with a SWCD and the return a QO 4000 at about 5' of head.

i was reading about the Algea Turf Scrubber and thought that might be a good idea too to add to the system, im sure i can DIY something up for that.

For lighting i have a 250W lumex max 3 reflector powered by an icecap ballast. i will add 2 24W actinics later on.

Not really sure what to do for the stand or canopy though, i want to keep the cost down as much as possible and keep it a clean look. i was thinking MDF board paint it black with magnets or hooks on all 3 sides and the same for the canopy.

Any one know what type of paint i use to paint the inside of the stand so that water doesnt rot it. ive seen a few members on here do it. its some kind of white paint.

Here is a pic of the stand. for anyone to get an idea about it. with the skimmer in place too.

As for livestock, i will keep what i have now, but im giving away a damsel to anyone who wants it, your to take, he will eat anything you put in the tank as long as he can get it in his mouth (edmonton). and i might venture into some sps for this tank, probably more the easier ones to keep. looking at getting alot of smaller fish for this tank instead of 3 or 4 big ones.

Here is what i thought about doing in order to make more room for a fuge, but then i would have a hard time getting to the pump when i need to do maintance. of course it would be supported.

Its final resting place, but just a little more over the the left where the current one is now.

The new skimmer, my first in-sump skimmer

I had a problem it was producing to much foam, i know it has to break in but i had everthing fully open so i couldnt turn it down any and it was still pumping it out. I think it was due to the water level being to high.

And of course me putting up the christmas tree for me and my wife. Our first Christmas together.

Isnt it purdy!!!!!

Last edited by Boomboy; 03-14-2009 at 01:29 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:10 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Wow....a Christmas tree already!

The tank sounds great...I imagine the paint you might be looking for is Krylon Fusion. Not sure if it is water proof...whatever paint you end up using...watch out for it having anti-mold incredients which would be dangerous for your tank inhabitants.

Best of luck

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:14 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Gonna be a cool tank man. If you are going to use mdf you will need to take a few extra steps than just paint. Mdf does not respond well to moisture. It will need to be sealed, primed, painted then possibly cleared with a marine grade finish. Mdf may be a cost effective material for other applications, but when you factor in the extra cost of finishing it properly, not to mention the time it will take to finish it properly, you may be better off using a wood veneered ply. Do let us know how the vertex settles in. We are thinking about bringing them in at the shop but they are new so......
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 12-01-2008, 03:30 AM

wow got replies already sweet. yeah ive thought about sealing the mdf too and if it would be worth it. and i will let you know about the skimmer, from just opening it up, it seems well worth the price, the acrylic is really thick, it doesnt feel cheap.

Well i showed my wife the thread and she said " why am i not in there!" so here is a picture of us both, we just got married about a 1 1/2 months ago, so here is a picture of us. a happy wife is a filled fish tank. hahah

Old 12-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Well, it sounds like you have the main principle of married reefing down...a happy wife IS a filled fish tank! You can't get a better start than that!

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I swear in that pic he's already planning his tank. I know the look. Trouble is so does the wife...
Old 12-01-2008, 04:06 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on the new tank and the new marriage!
Old 12-01-2008, 04:14 PM

Today 10:06 AM
Parker Congratulations on the new tank and the new marriage!

why thank you very much. both bring me great joy, one more than the other, guess which one that is.

Today 09:58 AM
lastlight I swear in that pic he's already planning his tank. I know the look. Trouble is so does the wife...

i actually think i was already planning it too, hahahh maybe not at that moment though.

Today 09:47 AM
mseepman Well, it sounds like you have the main principle of married reefing down...a happy wife IS a filled fish tank! You can't get a better start than that!

i just thought of that while i was typing it, but hey at least i learned it early on.

anyone got any thought about how to put a fuge into the space underneath the sump area, without getting a custom sump made, maybe even a diy way or something,

i was thinking for the bulkheads for the CL that both for would thread x slip, is that the best way, and for the overflow, one would be thread x slip i was going to just screw a strainer into it and the other emergency bulkhead would be slip x slip, and for the return through the overflow it would be slip x slip. i read somewhere that have slip bulkheads are better than have threads less change of leaking. but will the plumbing glue get into the water after a while?? anyone got any experience on that.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:05 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

I can't quite tell the depth of your stand but what about pulling the sump all the way forward in the stand and having the fuge above and behind the sump? Would give you room to get at your pump and skimmer out front.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:05 PM

Today 11:05 AM
Parker I can't quite tell the depth of your stand but what about pulling the sump all the way forward in the stand and having the fuge above and behind the sump? Would give you room to get at your pump and skimmer out front.

My sump area is a 24 x24 roughly its a little bigger but i need that space around it. i could pull it to the front, but then plumbing would become an issue, having the one tank slightly higher than the sump so that the fuge would drain into the sump. i wanted room for the ATO container in the stand but im thinking i will have to put it outside of it, it might make it easier to get at also to fill up. i have today and tommorow off work, so i will think about it a bit and play around with a few things, i might end up having another 20G in there for the fuge, but then i would have no room to add anything else to the sump, like a phosban reactor or one of these.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Carbon...duct_info.html

im very surprised at how fast the space fills up. of course this is my first sump. but i would like to fit everything in.