Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics hardware related only)

Old 11-27-2008, 01:56 AM

Fox is on a distinguished road
Post Getting In...Gladly :P WTB list.

I currently have a 33 gal freshwater tank that I would like to upgrade to 90 gal.

I am then going to turn the 33 gal into a saltwater tank.

So that being said my WTB list is as follows:

90 Gal tank and stand (If I cant find a used one I will be picking one up on Boxing day at Big Al's in a month.)
Hood and light for 90 gal
Rena XP3 filter
Heater

and for the 33 gal, I will need everything a saltwater tank requires.

I am starting a lot of reading but I am hoping to find someone looking to unload the equipment (maybe even 30-35lbs of live rock to get me started) that I will need so I can get it in one fell swoop.

Please message me if you are able to help me out.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Fox; 11-27-2008 at 04:08 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:10 AM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with small salt water tanks; but a 90 gallon would be much better off saltwater than freshwater!
Old 11-27-2008, 03:15 AM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

I agree, you'll be thankful later. I found it a lot easier maintaining parameters in my larger tank then the 33g one I had running.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:19 AM

Hehehe, believe me if I had the startup cash for 90 gal reed I'd be all in but "accounting" (aka the wife) wont give the rubber stamp for that one...heck I managed to convince her to go from a 10 gal to the 33 so I did make progress!

I have had 2 people offer me a Rena XP3...so I am working out those details but I still need the rest...

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-27-2008, 01:15 PM

noirsphynx is on a distinguished road

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-pets-acc...QAdIdZ90581477
Old 11-27-2008, 01:23 PM

Thanks mate! I think that they are asking a bit much tho...I know Big Al's sells the same kit for $549 New and boxing day will be even less. Thats not to say I am not willing to buy a used tank, just that I think that particular one is priced too high...
Thank you very much for the suggestion tho!!!!!
Old 11-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

IMO, a 33 gallon will make a sweet reef.
You'll want to upgrade at some point if you love it as much as me ( I started with a 12, went to a 32 and now have a 72/15).

So go on with your bad self and get that 33 going and see how you like it compared to fresh.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:15 PM

Hehe thanks for the motivation! I can't wait!!!
Old 11-27-2008, 03:45 PM

In another post someone suggested that newbies should mention what type of tank they are planning to keep. I am planning to have corals(mostly soft) and fish and a peacefull tank at that...I am not sure the requirements but apparently they differ with the type of tank. I guess that knowledge with come with more reading...hehe
Old 11-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

With a 33 gallon, it will be much easier to keep soft corals...
sps or stony/hard corals need more light and more flow hence more $$$ for equipment.
There are some stunning soft coral peaceful reefs on this board, a great place to start is to look at the tank journals threads and see what some people have done.
Don't be intimidated by how expensive and ornate some of these systems are, you'll get there on your own time eventually if you get caught by the reefing bug.

There are also some stellar fish for peaceful and lower flow/light tanks (look at royal grammas, chalk bass, wrasses and gobies to start) so I think that a soft coral/peaceful tank is ideal for someone unsure of how far they want to pursue saltwater.

For a tank like the one stated, you would need pc or t5 lighting and about 300-1000 gph turnover in your tank (2 koralia 2's would work great or 2 mj 12's might do it)

A half decent skimmer (like prizm or remora) would work great

You'll find everyone has a different opinion on just about everything so the best is to pick your inhabitants and then build your system to make sure they are healthy and happy via the equipment you pick up from there.

I would consider myself a novice in reefs, only been into it for about 3 years and learn everyday about how much i don't know.

Good luck, happy reading.