Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 11-18-2008, 07:35 PM

seanoman is on a distinguished road
Default Any Experience With Achilles?

I purchased an Achilles about a month ago from Aquatics Addictions. I have always wanted this tang. So when I saw it, I knew I had to have it. It is about 3", so it is still rather small. When I bought it, it was the second day it was in the store and was already eating nori. I took it home, and it acclimated very well to our tank, which is a 225 gallon tank. It did great for the first week, it had beautiful colouring and didn't even get ich. After the first week, our regal tang which was about 6", so quite a bit bigger, started to pick on it. The achilles did get a little bit of ich, but mainly had these white blotches all over its body. I finally got the regal tang out last week, because I had enough of it picking on the achilles. Since I have taken it out, the white blotches have mostly gone away, but it is still a very pale colour. It eats nori all day long, but has still yet to eat mysis, flake, raw clams or anything else. All be it, it does graze off of the live rock. I was wondering if there are fellow reefers out there who are successfully keeping this species and if they have experienced the same thing or not. I know of Untamed and Marie who have them, so are there any special secrets to these fish to get there colour back????
Old 11-18-2008, 07:43 PM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

I have one in QT with no problems right now a little over 5" long and has been eating from day 1. It eats nori, all types of pellets and some mysis (I found mysis was a pain in the beginning) and even now the Achilles just nibbles bits and pieces. I talked to Marie about keeping one and she was very helpful. Right now I've been feeding it 5 times daily and it is getting nice and fat, so now it just a matter of deciding when to put it in the main display tank, and hope everyone gets along. (I did use NSF ick medication as a preventative from the beginning).
I would like to hear more from others who have had this fish.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:53 PM

Yeah it gets all excited when the mysis goes in the tank, but has yet to grab one and eat it. My dussumieri tang, wouldn't touch mysis either for about a month or so. He was strictly eating nori. He only started to go after the mysis, when I put the achilles in.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:49 PM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Well, they are herbivores...

Spirulina flake and they do like those OSI spirulina nibblers very much.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:57 PM

No i know they are herbivores, but I was just curious if maybe it was something in it's diet that was taking away its colour. It has no problem eating any algea of any type and it is getting a belly on it.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:27 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

Usually loss of colour is a sign of stress, my achilles looked like a powder brown hybrid (greyish) the whole time he was in quarantine but the day after he went into the display tank his colour came back. He may still be expecting the regal to jump out of the rocks at him and may take a while to feel comfortable in his new surroundings.

Do you have any other fish in the tank that is bigger then him that he might feel a bit threatened by?

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 11-18-2008, 09:30 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

Congrats on finding one that size! I am looking for one, likely the last tang to go in my tank. And from previous experience, if it is eating, it will be be fine. A little ick is to be expected.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:17 PM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedfrags.com View Post
Congrats on finding one that size! I am looking for one, likely the last tang to go in my tank. And from previous experience, if it is eating, it will be be fine. A little ick is to be expected.
Good to know that if it is eating it should be fine. Now I just have to decide how long is enough in qt when it is showing great coloring, eating and no signs of disease. Is 2 weeks enough?
Old 11-18-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie View Post
Usually loss of colour is a sign of stress, my achilles looked like a powder brown hybrid (greyish) the whole time he was in quarantine but the day after he went into the display tank his colour came back. He may still be expecting the regal to jump out of the rocks at him and may take a while to feel comfortable in his new surroundings.

Do you have any other fish in the tank that is bigger then him that he might feel a bit threatened by?
Hey thanks for the replies. Marie the way you described it looking like a powder brown hybrid (greyish) would be exactly what I would say it looks like. It seems however that when we go down to look at him, he slowly gets better colouring. Which makes me think something else is picking on him, But I have never seen anything other than the regal show any aggression.

The other fish in the tank are:

6 - Green Chromis
2 - Red Fire Fish
1 - Yellow Fin Fairy Wrasse
1 - Green Coris Wrasse
1 - Raccoon Butterfly
1 - Sunburst Anthias
1 - Dussumieri Tang

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedfrags.com View Post

It's not the ick I am concerned about, its the pale colour.

Like I said, I got the fish from Dan at Aquatic Addictions in Abby here. He has gotten 3 in lately and they have all been the same size. I know he ships, you should give him a call.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:34 PM

300g is on a distinguished road

i have one show size 10" in my 280g fish tank.eat all the food ,i keep him only 2 weeks ???(dead)