Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > BC Interiors

Old 11-12-2008, 01:53 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road
Default Kamloops area

Hi, it is looking like I will be retiring from the military and moving to kamloops this summer if everything goes right. I am starting to look at houses and such and I was wondering what are the better areas.

Idealy I would like to be out of town a bit and have a chunk of land.

Also ow many reefers do we have in Kamloops, as I will be starting a new tank as soon as we get settled in, and I will have to find some one to hassel to replace Brad as he won't move

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:21 PM

argan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to argan

I think there are about 10 or so kamloops saltwater people who post/lurk on this board.

I'm Guessing there must be over 100+ tanks in the area gauging from how much stuff the 2 stores with saltwater stuff sell.
But that includes the outlying areas.

Dallas and Knutsford are nice areas, or Westsyde or Rayliegh.
I live in Rayliegh, which is north about 5-10 minuntes from downtown on the highway.

house prices are just starting to come down but you should be able to get a nice home for around $350,000.

Send me a PM if you need any help setting up your tank.

Ken
Old 11-14-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by argan View Post
Dallas and Knutsford are nice areas, or Westsyde or Rayliegh.
I live in Rayliegh, which is north about 5-10 minuntes from downtown on the highway.

house prices are just starting to come down but you should be able to get a nice home for around $350,000.

Ken
ya, I have watched prices come down over the last 8 months by close to 40K, which is good for me.. what is pinantan area like? We have been looking at places as far out as hefley, but mostly the places you mentioned.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 11-14-2008, 08:32 PM

wolf_bluejay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
ya, I have watched prices come down over the last 8 months by close to 40K, which is good for me.. what is pinantan area like? We have been looking at places as far out as hefley, but mostly the places you mentioned.

Steve
Hi, I'm one of the Kamloops saltwater guys. I think a lot the deciding factors is what area's are the best (I've lived here for about 30 years), is what kind of place are you looking for. If you are looking for a large yard -- brock and westsyde still have some places with big yards. If you want acres, then you need further out. Rayleigh is nice, has a few stores and direct access onto the highway, the only downside is when CN parks a train across the tracks and no one can get home . Pinantan is a quite a bit smaller (about the same size as Hefley but the road access sucks, own a 4x4 on bad snow days and I don't think there is any stores/grocery at all.

Your best friend for a lot of this: Google earth. It lets you easily pick out yard sizes, density, store/school access (IE pinantan has NO bus service, rayliegh does). And for most of Kamloops you can get really high res images. Good enough to look at a house and see how well it is landscaped.

Heck, rose hill is nice if you own a money tree I'd also look at pritchard, and paul lake area as well. Lots of room and some basic services.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:37 PM

argan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to argan

yea i forgot about Brock (Brockelhurst) it is toward the airport but no big planes so not much noise. They have most of the biggest and nicest yards and oldest trees. also Barnhartvale is nice with lots of land available.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:42 PM

I would like some land, have seen a few with 10Acers or more, but 5 would do me as I would like to get a few horses if it works out.. Told the wife I would settle for Quads if we couldn't get enough land haha.

What are the wells like out pritchard way, do they produce lots of good water? and as far as water goes what is the groung water quality in you neck of the woods?

Realy I don't mine where I live as long as it is freehold land (not leased) , about 30 min or less from town, and the kids can get bus service to school. I would also like to be in a shaw service area for the internet/tv but I can work around that if I have to.

If I am in town I would like a river valley/city view, out of town what ever.. I grew up on a farm in Alberta, so I am leaning towards the land and trees thing.

hmm a friend of ours said to not look at batchlor hights or brock, I'll have to find out why.

Steve

Old 11-15-2008, 08:12 PM

wolf_bluejay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
I would like some land, have seen a few with 10Acers or more, but 5 would do me as I would like to get a few horses if it works out.. Told the wife I would settle for Quads if we couldn't get enough land haha.

What are the wells like out pritchard way, do they produce lots of good water? and as far as water goes what is the groung water quality in you neck of the woods?

Realy I don't mine where I live as long as it is freehold land (not leased) , about 30 min or less from town, and the kids can get bus service to school. I would also like to be in a shaw service area for the internet/tv but I can work around that if I have to.

If I am in town I would like a river valley/city view, out of town what ever.. I grew up on a farm in Alberta, so I am leaning towards the land and trees thing.

hmm a friend of ours said to not look at batchlor hights or brock, I'll have to find out why.

Steve
If you want 5 Acers, you'll be out side of the city. Nothing in brock, batch heights with that room. Maybe in barnhartvale area, but not anywhere else in the city. As for the bus routes to school. Don't worry about that too much, the Kamloops/Thompson school district IS BIG. (from Logan Lake, to Chase, to clearwater, to Heffley Creek) Bus service for the rural areas is quite good. I can't think of many places that don't get bus service that are not REALLY in the boonies.

Well water is a whole different story -- generally if you are in the valley bottom, you get lots of water, but it is usually a bit high on Iron (700 tds). But up on the hills you either get good/lots of water or you get none. You drill 50 ft over and you hit water. Even if the neighbouring properties have water all over, don't count on it until you see water flowing.

Most areas close to the city (barnhartvale, rayliegh) have city fed water, and those on the kamloops line have RO water out of the tap. (Yay!, 3 ppm water out of the tap).
Old 11-15-2008, 08:32 PM

Ripwoop is on a distinguished road

5 bedroom house in Armstrong not acreage but one of the 3 biggest lots on the street.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_bluejay View Post

Most areas close to the city (barnhartvale, rayliegh) have city fed water, and those on the kamloops line have RO water out of the tap. (Yay!, 3 ppm water out of the tap).
by Kamloops line I am assuming that you are talking about the city water supply?

Steve

Old 11-16-2008, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripwoop View Post
5 bedroom house in Armstrong not acreage but one of the 3 biggest lots on the street.
I don't even know where armstrong is LOL

Steve