Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-05-2008, 01:52 AM

AndyL is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to AndyL
Default Damn Heaters!

Oi vey... Heaters are really starting to p*ss me off...

Had one start to get finicky yesterday (cutting in at about 76, running the temp up to 82-83 then turning off). So I yanked it (good quality Won Bro's titanium - so not cheap chinese junk), Tossed another one in; check it a few times last night and this morning - all working fine... Come home tonight to the temp alarm screaming. GFCI has tripped. Try to reset, blows immediately, unplug the new heater - GFCI resets.

I'm running two undersized heaters, that's usually been enough to avoid these issues (and gives me more time to find these sticky relay issues) - however tripping the GFCI and taking 2/3rds of the tank's systems down was a new trick...

Maybe it's just my luck, but somehow I've never managed to find heaters that works consistantly... The won bro's have treated me well (given they're now 3 years old - most have been sitting idle for 18 months (had 20+ from breeding systems)) except even they've getting a bit unreliable; luckily they've always failed "off" thus far.

Anyone found a truly foolproof heater? I'll probably keep my dual undersized as a backup - but it's time to find a heater that I'm not going to feel the need to replace continually.

Andy
By reading, replying to, commenting about, or in any way accessing the material in this post; including but not limited to storing in a database, retrieving from a database, viewing in a web browser, including it in or making a reference to it in a legal document, or accidentally glancing at it you agree to send me $100.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:46 AM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

I am amazed that heaters are so unreliable, considering they are such a simple piece of equipment.

I haven't found a heater I can count on. Won, Finnex, Aquamedic titanium, Ebo Jagr - all have failed on me.

My current setup is two Stealth heaters, one in the sump controlled by an Aquamedic controller, the controller set to 80 degrees and the heater set to 82 degrees. The second one in the tank as a backup set to 75 degrees.

If the controller fails "on", the heater will stop when it reaches 82 degrees. If the heater fails or if the controller fails "off", the backup heater will kick in at 75 degrees. If my return pump fails, the in-tank circulation pumps and the in-tank heater will keep the tank at 75 degrees.
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge
Old 11-05-2008, 03:49 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I have 2 heaters, I've been using them for, hmm, must be five years now...Won Bros and some glass thingy.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:04 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

I hope you guys keep having heater failures because then statistically I never will. I've never had a heater problem in my 16 yrs of reefkeeping (knock on wood)

and I use those glass thingys too

*Edit* I haven't been using the same heater for 16 yrs, that particular one was attached to the hood for my 20g tank which I no longer use. My oldest heater I bought used in 2000

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252

Last edited by marie; 11-05-2008 at 04:07 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:16 AM

Marlin65 is on a distinguished road

I have had three fail in the last month so you should be good for a bit longer.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:26 AM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

i have never had an issue with ebo jagers. really they are the only heater i trust in my tanks.

but running 2 that are reccomended for the tank is always a good idea. just because they aren't being over worked and die on you.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:42 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

And then, for me Ebo Jagers were the only heaters to fail...go figure...I honestly don't know what's in there now...
Old 11-05-2008, 04:46 AM

spreerider is on a distinguished road

i have had a few failures but one i have had for over 11 years, and its just a cheap walmart brand chinese junk.
Im trying a stealth and so far its had no problems.
I have heard that heater cables have almost no failure, the type people used to use alot in planted tanks, the only part that can fail is the thermostat and since you use a dedicated thermostat to control the heater cables you get high quality on both.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:37 AM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

The answer to your heater problems
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45555

J
Old 11-05-2008, 01:55 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Yeah well let me tell you, a 2 undersized heater set up is no better then a single set up or a 3 heater set up.