Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 10-26-2008, 01:45 AM

sunce_22 is on a distinguished road
Default Tank disaster!!!

So there was a disaster! For a few months now I have not needed heaters in my tanks because the temp in my apartment is high enough. So on Friday I go to school then go out and shop around, coming home late at night... I walk into my bedroom and notice how cold it is. I left the window open... first mistake leading to this disaster. Then I head my canister filters struggling. I go look at them and they were completly empty inside. I look at the temperature... 62 degrees!!! YIKES! I frantically go get some warm salt water that I keep on hand (dont ask). I start adding it into the tank.
I walk into my living room clearly upset because i feel like i just lost three tanks! I start ranting to my roommate... who turns and says, oh yeah sorry I forgot to tell you, BCHYRDO let us know a week ago that that power was going out.... Which is why I found my filters struggling.
How long was it out? I asked...
8 hours!!!! he says!!!! OMG!!! I am thinking

Anyways... to get to the point... I lost 2 mantis shrimp, almost all my cuttle fish and 1 filter seems to have seized.

What a bad Friday...

P.S. All of my tanks that were in the living room of my apartment are fine! Only my bedroom window was open so it was the only one effected by the cold air!

"Live the life you want to remember"
Old 10-26-2008, 01:53 AM

baker_jeff is on a distinguished road

That is horrible news!

I always leave my heaters in there because when the water is warm enough, they just don't run. I hope your tanks will stay healthy after the 8 hour shock...
Old 10-26-2008, 02:04 AM

sunce_22 is on a distinguished road

Yeah I really hope so. I am soooo disappointed. Everything seems fine though... besides the losses

"Live the life you want to remember"