Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-30-2008, 06:08 PM

Pescador is on a distinguished road
Default Continuous water changes

Is anyone doing this on their systems?
I like the idea of mixing 50g and have it change slowly over the course of a month.
From RHF article here
Water changes in reef aquaria
Quote:
These changes are slightly less efficient than single batch water changes of the same total volume. A continuous water change of 30% exactly matches one batch 26% water change. As with very small batch water changes, these have the advantage of neither stressing the organisms (assuming the change is done reasonably slowly), nor altering the water level in the aquarium.
The price for a Litermeter and remote pump or Reefiller seems like the biggest drawback unless there are some cheaper options.
110g mangrove refug/sump
Poison Dart Frog Vivarium
Old 09-30-2008, 08:49 PM

slakker is on a distinguished road

I was thinking something similar but instead of having the system pump water out to be dumped into the drain, just put the 50G as part of the whole system... Have the water trickle through the 50 G at a slow rate then dump the whole 50 G every month or 2 to be replaced with fresh. Then the overall system volume is the DT+sump+ the 50G and you're basically doing 50G water changes every month... maybe?
Old 09-30-2008, 09:57 PM

Alberta-newb is on a distinguished road

Don't have such a system on my display but I do have my quarantine tank running on continuous water change. I T-ed off my display's return pipe and continously drip into the QT at the rate of about 1 gal/day. The QT has a corner overflow that goes right down the drain. Only thing I am concerned with is salinity creeping up but hasn't been a problem so far. I also have to top up my sump every couple of days, at a gal/day it works out to about 25% per month on my display . Nice thing is after 4 weeks of quarantine, my new fish won't have any shocks going into the display as it's the same water.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:07 PM

scuglass is on a distinguished road

You could also skimm wet and top off with salt... Might take a while to get the correct SG due to evaporation replacement too...
Old 10-01-2008, 05:17 AM

Marlin65 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta-newb View Post
Don't have such a system on my display but I do have my quarantine tank running on continuous water change. I T-ed off my display's return pipe and continously drip into the QT at the rate of about 1 gal/day. The QT has a corner overflow that goes right down the drain. Only thing I am concerned with is salinity creeping up but hasn't been a problem so far. I also have to top up my sump every couple of days, at a gal/day it works out to about 25% per month on my display . Nice thing is after 4 weeks of quarantine, my new fish won't have any shocks going into the display as it's the same water.
Cool I like that.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Vendor

Red Coral Aquariums is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta-newb View Post
Well thought out.Plan on same procedure at the store.
Kevin
Old 10-01-2008, 03:05 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Alberta-newb,

Have any photos to share of this set up?
Old 10-01-2008, 03:23 PM

rockworm is on a distinguished road

I am setting up the daily change using the Profilux Controller and their dosing pumps. Profilux makes a stand-alone dosing pump that would work. You do not need an additional pump with this one. Unfortunately, dosing pumps are not cheap. These dosers are available in 1 pump to 4 pump combinations and priced accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador View Post
Is anyone doing this on their systems?
I like the idea of mixing 50g and have it change slowly over the course of a month.
From RHF article here
Water changes in reef aquaria

The price for a Litermeter and remote pump or Reefiller seems like the biggest drawback unless there are some cheaper options.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:31 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Great idea for the QT.

My biggest problem with a QT has been the keeping the parameters in check with a small, non-established tank.

I would just need to balance my fresh water ATO, so not to drop salinity against, SW top off.

Last edited by mark; 10-01-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:10 PM

Alberta-newb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Coral Aquariums View Post
Well thought out.Plan on same procedure at the store.
Kevin
Kevin, all the credit goes to you. I came up with this setup after several discussions with you on the best approach. Thanks!