Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 09-21-2008, 12:36 AM

ColinD is on a distinguished road
Default All in Ones, which require the least mods?

Looking at setting up an AIO Nano, debating on purchasing a packaged unit or gong with a DIY. Price wise I seem to be coming out at about the same once I take into consideration everything I need for a DIY. Which units require the least amount of Mods after purchase? Really liking the look of the Cadlight 22g, any opinions and what are folks shipping experiences with a tank this size?

Thanks
Colin
Old 09-21-2008, 12:50 AM

Oscar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinD View Post
Looking at setting up an AIO Nano, debating on purchasing a packaged unit or gong with a DIY. Price wise I seem to be coming out at about the same once I take into consideration everything I need for a DIY. Which units require the least amount of Mods after purchase? Really liking the look of the Cadlight 22g, any opinions and what are folks shipping experiences with a tank this size?

Thanks
Colin
All of the AIO could be run without mods or they could all require major mods depending on your requirements. If you have had a tank before then you will have someidea of your requirements.

On thing abot the Cads,they come all the way from Brooklyn so the risk of damage is greater. My tank arrived in good shape but the cabinet was damaged in shipping. Also the quality control was poor in my case. The skimmer was broken in the factory,the refuge light wouldnotpower upand the UV died in an hour.

Keep in mind that my unit was the first batch to be shipped out in February. Eventually everything was resolved but it took time. It could have been start up of a new model but it was painful at the time,

I still like my tank.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:14 AM

ColinD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
All of the AIO could be run without mods or they could all require major mods depending on your requirements. If you have had a tank before then you will have someidea of your requirements.

On thing abot the Cads,they come all the way from Brooklyn so the risk of damage is greater. My tank arrived in good shape but the cabinet was damaged in shipping. Also the quality control was poor in my case. The skimmer was broken in the factory,the refuge light wouldnotpower upand the UV died in an hour.

Keep in mind that my unit was the first batch to be shipped out in February. Eventually everything was resolved but it took time. It could have been start up of a new model but it was painful at the time,

I still like my tank.
Thanks Oscar, I followed your thread and it really pointed me towards the Cadlight. Its been a few years since my last reef tank (18 or so) but I pretty much know what I want in a tank. If I may ask, how much did shipping work out to?

Thanks
Colin
Old 09-21-2008, 01:15 AM

likwid is on a distinguished road

I got a JBJ NanoCube 28 HQI and love it. The stock skimmer actually works good, no need to upgrade the lights at all. The only upgrade I have done is added an extra powerhead and turned one of the back chambers into a refugium.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:50 AM

Oscar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinD View Post
Thanks Oscar, I followed your thread and it really pointed me towards the Cadlight. Its been a few years since my last reef tank (18 or so) but I pretty much know what I want in a tank. If I may ask, how much did shipping work out to?

Thanks
Colin
I have been very negligent in keeping up my tank journal. Still struggling with hair algae. I think it is a combination of poor aquascaping and low flow. Hoping to do some new aquascaping this weekend.
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````

I will have to dig out my records to see what the shipping was.

Improvements to my tank so far:

- added Koralia 1
- need to add another ~600 gph for flow (either another Koralia but tyoing with the idea of a Vortech)
- added media bag with Phosban and carbon
- soon to add Phosban reactor for phosban and carbon instead
Old 09-21-2008, 07:15 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Oh, I thought we were talking about the site with the least mods....nevermind nothing to see here...
Old 09-24-2008, 12:10 AM

silverplanet is on a distinguished road

i am also thinking of setting up a aio in the future just doing research know. only keeping zoas and gsp in it but i am wondering how much the duty fees would be if it was shipped from the states. thinking of a nano customs unit since all the mods will be done already. anyone have experiance with cross border shipping and fees that would be ontop of a $600 dollar unit.any input would be great.

Jason
Old 09-24-2008, 05:09 AM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

Mods are the best part!! I just drilled my nanocube for a sump
Old 09-24-2008, 05:33 AM

TJSlayer is on a distinguished road

Wow the Cadlight systems sure look nice......
75G, 100 lbs LR, Inwatter Stingray LED's, 25 Gallon Sump, 24wt UV, hermits, Snails, pep, fire & cleaner shrimps, Blue Throat Trigger, Perc Clowns , Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Blue Regal tang, RBTA, Coral Banded Shrimp, Checkerboard Wrasse, Many Corals, Royal Tux Urchin