Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-13-2008, 06:41 AM

brutherb is on a distinguished road
Default live sand question

This question is 2 fold I am switching from a 60g to a 150g i just emptied the 60 g tonight I have the live sand in a rubbermaid with a heater and a pump should I wash it and if so just with fresh water. I am also dealing with a hair algae issue part of the reason i moved up i had to much live rock sediment was settling everywhere because i couldn't get enough flow around everything. so now I can spread the live rock out a biit more. lastly i have 20 g established water, but again i had a serious algaee issue I am running a phos ban reactor but it wasn't helping enough. I have scrubbed each piece of live rock before i put it into my temporary tank and the rubermaids. I am hoping that i can increase the flow around the rock preventing sediment from settling and that the cleaning would help enough with a substantial water change, and some new rowna in the reactor. I know the best solution would have been to put it in the closet for a few weeks to a few months but i didn't want to loose the corals i had. And yes just replaced all of my bulbs before anyone asks.

Thanks for any responses
Old 09-13-2008, 08:33 AM

FitoPharmer is on a distinguished road

How deep was your old sand in your 60G and what kind of sand was it? Normally if its crushed coral sand, and you have algae problems, sometimes replacing it all can be best. since crushed coral can bind phosphates and make algae problems continue for a month or more after you change over. Otherwise a few very good washes in freshwater would be best, im kind of paranoid and use tap water conditioner on the last wash if its going right into a tank with LR. IMO rowa and other such products are expensive bandagee in that kind of situation, water changes are more effective and cheaper.

Last edited by FitoPharmer; 09-13-2008 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:29 AM

brutherb is on a distinguished road

3-4 inches of live sand not crushed coral agamix i think is what i used
Old 09-13-2008, 11:45 AM

FitoPharmer is on a distinguished road

ok if its aragonite, thats the good stuff. wash it really well, and afterward just give it a smell make sure its ok. smelly = bad. did you find out what your algae problems were from?

Last edited by FitoPharmer; 09-13-2008 at 12:13 PM.