Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Red Coral Aquarium

Old 09-06-2008, 03:14 AM

Alberta-newb is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Attack of the Aiptasianators!

Saw a very cool demonstration tonight on the voracity of peppermint shrimp at Red Coral Aquariums. First Kevin dropped in a small piece of rock with a 1/2" aiptasia on it. Immediately about 5 or 6 shrimp jumped on it. Looked like a street hockey game as the rock was tossled back and forth. Within seconds one of the shrimp yanked out the anenome and scurried off to eat it in peace. Later he put in a piece of live rock that had an aiptasia on it that was almost twice the size of a shrimp. I've read that peppermints only eat smaller ones but a shrimp immediately dove into the hole after it, yanked it out and ate it on the spot.....cheap entertainment for a Friday night! Naturally I picked up a couple of these PROVEN aiptasia eaters (having battled this problem since day one).

You really should get some video of this to post!

Thanks again!

Francis
Old 09-06-2008, 06:47 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

See, I'm of the the opinion that this is all a big hoax. All you've proved to me is that you're in on it. In 10 years in the hobby and easily 30-40 peppermint shrimp over the years, not one, not a one of them ever ate an aiptasia for me.

Those ones are worth a king's ransom if you ask me!

Now if only someone could do a demonstration of some emerald crabs eating valonia, I'd pay another king's ransom for those ones. Another so-called "sure thing" that never worked as advertised for me.

Stupid critters mustn't read the forums so they don't know what they're supposed to do..
Old 09-06-2008, 08:12 AM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
See, I'm of the the opinion that this is all a big hoax. All you've proved to me is that you're in on it. In 10 years in the hobby and easily 30-40 peppermint shrimp over the years, not one, not a one of them ever ate an aiptasia for me.

Now if only someone could do a demonstration of some emerald crabs eating valonia, I'd pay another king's ransom for those ones. Another so-called "sure thing" that never worked as advertised for me.

Stupid critters mustn't read the forums so they don't know what they're supposed to do..
I'm with you Tony!!

Greg
Old 09-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Vendor

Red Coral Aquariums is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post

It looks like I need to change the price on these.

By the way Tony which king are you talking about?

Kevin
Old 09-07-2008, 01:12 AM

TTT is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the re-demo of the peppermint shrimp eating aiptasia. I was disappointed when I missed out on Friday's show but to my delight Kevin had a second act on Saturday. I now have some arsenal when that nasty critter shows up in my new tank!

Terry

Last edited by TTT; 09-07-2008 at 01:13 AM. Reason: typo