Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-21-2008, 05:16 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus
Default Lost my pair of flame angels to a GFCI trip :(

Sorry, just venting.

Came home to find one of my GFCI's had tripped earlier in the day. Two tanks were flatlined, my 110g cube and my 20g nano. The juvenile flame angels I had since December in the 20g sadly did not make it.

I am so mad at myself because today was like one day that I had not had a chance to check on things earlier. Although in all likelihood they were already dead when I was at work, but I'll never know.

I need an alarm or a controller that alarms when the power goes out.

This is my one rant about GFCI's. I have had them trip out for no apparent reason several times. I've had flatlined tanks for up to 8 hours before with no loss of life, but today was more like 11 hours flatlined and I guess this time the fish would not be so lucky.

The weirdest thing is I was just away for nearly two weeks, and this happens 3 days after I get back.

Sighhhh .... this hobby has a nasty sting sometimes.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:22 AM

scumchug is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear. I have felt your pain. But having bought this makes me feel better.

http://www.ecotechmarine.com/products/batterybackup.php
Old 08-21-2008, 05:25 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

I have four circuits, each on a GFCI...and they have never tripped once. They are trying to tell you something. I don't think that is normal.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 08-21-2008, 05:27 AM

Monti-Man is on a distinguished road

Tony i'm sorry you lost them
Gees it has not been a good week for u!!

It has not been a good week for alot here lately..Makes me worried. We go camping on Sunday
Numerous corals,2 purple tangs,choclate mimic tang,Foxface,Solar wrasse,male and female lubbocks wrasse,hoevens wrasse,Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse,Blue Sided Fairy Wrasse,yellow wrasse,3 Yellowstripe Anthias,True percand S.Gigantea anemone
Old 08-21-2008, 05:37 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Sure seems like a lot of Murphy's Law all over this week.

I'm just stunned they died, I've had tank flatlines so many times, but it must be because the tank is so much smaller and thus less stability..

Sigh...
Old 08-21-2008, 05:40 AM

You'd think, but what? I can't find a voltage potential when I put on a multimeter. I've had about 4 or 5 unexplained trippings in 4 years. So it's not like it happens ALL the time.. Once was when the house next door was being built, weird. I think the vibrations caused by the excavator who was vibrating/packing-down gravel somehow caused it to trip?

Today it happened shortly after the lights turned on, so it's hard to imagine that's not just coincidence..

Don't really know how to go about diagnosing and correcting though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
I have four circuits, each on a GFCI...and they have never tripped once. They are trying to tell you something. I don't think that is normal.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:41 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Angels being deepwater fish need so much oxygen. They go quickly with the power off.

I agree something is not right for your GFCI's to be tripping.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:08 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Haven't had a false trip with all of mine since starting this hobby (~6yrs). They do fail though, after a true false trip I'd be replacing.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Geez Tony. Sorry for the loss. Although I would never run anything without GFI circuits, they can be a pain sometimes. I always try to run multiple,s on any one tank.

My current one has a tank only circuit, with a GFI in the cabinet and some of the equipment runs on the house GFI/Arc Fault circuits.

I,m guessing some of the controllers can let you know when something like that happens but I dont know how much good that would be, if nobody was around to correct the problem.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:22 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Sorry for your loss.