Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 08-04-2008, 03:17 PM

kwirky is on a distinguished road
Default possibly considering dwarf lionfish for my SPS tank

I'm humming and hawing whether a dwarf lionfish, like a fu manchu, would be appropriate for my 45g SPS tank. I think the flow's too high for one, and I think it'd eat all my small left-handed & fairy hermits

Any feedback?
Old 08-04-2008, 04:06 PM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

ive never had a dwarf lion but the bigger types ive had never did well in a tank with lots of flow, which a sps tank would usally have,also ive never had any hermits get eatin
Old 08-04-2008, 05:57 PM

Redoc is on a distinguished road

I had a dwarf fuzzy that liked to nestle down in soft corals. I never had a problem with flow it would just find a place where it was happy.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:33 PM

J.Lloy is on a distinguished road

I had a fuzzy dwarf and I never saw him go after any hermits or snails, the only thing I don't think I would gamble with would be any shrimp, or small fish.
The flow was medium rate and mine did like to jump.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:12 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

old thread with a Lionfish link (here)
Old 08-05-2008, 02:58 AM

Stab_Master_Arson is on a distinguished road

I just bought a dwarf fuzzy for my tank. It won't eat...much. I think I might have to go to petcetera and by feeder fish or something to entice it. You should be warned. I knew that fuzzy's were picky, but I wasn't prepared for this much stubbornness. it pretty much leaves everything alone though (coral etc). It just perches itself on a rock and waits for something to float by, then it investigates. The long term effect it might have in the reef will remain to be seen but I know somebody that kept a dwarf in their reef for years and it was very pleasant and hardy.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:55 PM

reefshark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stab_Master_Arson View Post
I just bought a dwarf fuzzy for my tank. It won't eat...much. I think I might have to go to petcetera and by feeder fish or something to entice it. You should be warned. I knew that fuzzy's were picky, but I wasn't prepared for this much stubbornness.
Try ghost shrimp(freshwater), shrimp are more the natural diet of fuzzies and please don't use goldfish what ever you do, the scales cant be digested and well eventually kill your lion. To feed the shrimp, just take a piece of fishing line and small sinker and put the sinker around an inch from the end of the line, then you can put the shrimp on the line (just shove it through the shell) and dangle the semi live shrimp in front of it. It should take the shrimp readily after a few days you can start offering frozen mysis and small krill.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:59 PM

reefshark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwirky View Post
I'm humming and hawing whether a dwarf lionfish, like a fu manchu, would be appropriate for my 45g SPS tank. I think the flow's too high for one, and I think it'd eat all my small left-handed & fairy hermits

Any feedback?
As long as you offer some hiding places for it to get out of the flow and out of the light then it should be fine. As for the hermit crabs it should leave them alone. but any shrimp and small fish that are big enough to fit in its mouth will probably go missing
Old 08-05-2008, 08:08 PM

karazy is on a distinguished road

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

this is a good page in my opinion
Old 08-06-2008, 03:17 AM

Stab_Master_Arson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefshark View Post
Try ghost shrimp(freshwater), shrimp are more the natural diet of fuzzies and please don't use goldfish what ever you do, the scales cant be digested and well eventually kill your lion. To feed the shrimp, just take a piece of fishing line and small sinker and put the sinker around an inch from the end of the line, then you can put the shrimp on the line (just shove it through the shell) and dangle the semi live shrimp in front of it. It should take the shrimp readily after a few days you can start offering frozen mysis and small krill.
thanks. DO you know where I can purchase ghost shrimp? After work today, I bought some guppies and it hunted and ate them like a pro. I will try that "fishing method" though. Quite genius.