Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-03-2008, 09:27 PM

marie is on a distinguished road
Default Stircrazy and other lighting gurus

At the moment I am having good success with a hamilton 250w hqi hood on my 175g bowfront running 10k xm de bulbs

My question first off is it possible to go with 250w mogul based xm bulb and lumenmax reflectors using the hqi ballasts I already have.

Second question, would I get enough increase in par to be worth the hassle of changing everything around

Third question, (providing the answer to the other 2 is yes) how much work would it be to change the cords (going from the ballast to the hamilton hood) over to a mogul socket. Would I need an electrician or just someone who thinks they know what they are doing?

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 08-03-2008, 10:11 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

I did exactly as you are planning to do as you can see from my sig.

Sunlight Supply sells female socket adapters for their lumenmax pendants so you can easily hook-up any ballast to them as long as you have a wire stripper tool. I put the connections in an electrical box to be safe, but essentially it's just a matter of matching the same-coloured wires. The lumenmax reflectors are far superior to the standard hamilton ones such that I'm able to get away with using only two pendants over a 6' tank.

The increased PAR you get with mogul HQI over DE HQI depends on the bulb, but it does give you more flexibility as you get good PAR from even higher kelvin bulbs. I went from a 175W Hamilton hood to the 250W HQI so I had more dramatic results.

The 10K XM bulb does give a lot of PAR, but you'll probably need actinic supplementation since it still gives off a hint of yellow on an HQI ballast IME.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:55 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Marie, I'll give you a hand with your wiring. It's a reasonably easy job, and if we run into any unforseen difficulties my brother is an electrician.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:37 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie View Post
My question first off is it possible to go with 250w mogul based xm bulb and lumenmax reflectors using the hqi ballasts I already have.
Yep, but you can only use European bulbs. XM, Giesemann, Ushio, etc.

Quote:
Second question, would I get enough increase in par to be worth the hassle of changing everything around
Yes. Big difference, you will also get a bigger light footprint, and more consistent light spread - less hot and cool spots.

Quote:
Third question, (providing the answer to the other 2 is yes) how much work would it be to change the cords (going from the ballast to the hamilton hood) over to a mogul socket. Would I need an electrician or just someone who thinks they know what they are doing?
You could probably do it yourself in like 1/2 hour for two of them.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:33 AM

midgetwaiter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Yep, but you can only use European bulbs. XM, Giesemann, Ushio, etc.

It doesn't matter where the bulb is from, I don't think XM is from Europe anyway.

The difference is the starting mechanism, bulbs are either designed to use probe or pule start. Probe start bulbs rely on an extra device in the bulb to fire while pulse start bulbs require an ignitor that is part of the ballast assembly. HQI ballasts are also pulse start.

Sometimes probe start bulbs like the XM will work fine on a pulse start or HQI ballast, lots of people do it. You definitely get more PAR out of them this way but it drives the bulb pretty hard and they can fail prematurely. Ushio pulse start mogul bulbs are a better choice for an HQI ballast but Giesman mogul bulbs are probe start so you risk the same premature failure as using a XM or Hamilton.

Last edited by midgetwaiter; 08-04-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:41 PM

Would 250w SE bulbs on an HQI ballast be better then going with a 400w system?

I also forsee another problem, how do I keep my vho's when the MH reflectors take up all the room over the tank

300g tank
Old 08-04-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Would 250w SE bulbs on an HQI ballast be better then going with a 400w system?
Depends what you mean by "better"? The 250w SE on HQIs will be waaaaay more energy efficient. It also depends on whether you're doing 400w DE or SE. I would assume SE since there isn't much bulb choice in 400w DE. In that case, depending on which ballast and bulb you choose for both setups, the 400w SE setup is likely to only put out about 15-25% more PAR, but for 62.5% more energy.

midgetwaiter is right that the Ushio SE is the best choice. It runs the most efficient on an HQI ballast, and puts out the most PAR. The Ushio 10K is rather yellow though, so you may need to use stronger actinics to pull the color nicer.

I think you will be happier with the SE on HQI than with your current DEs, as I understand you only have 2 MH over a 6 foot tank. The coverage the SEs with have will be quite noticable in your case.

You need to check out this website: http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/

You will find that the 250w Ushio 10K run on a PFO HQI ballast has the highest PAR in the 250w range.

Quote:
I also forsee another problem, how do I keep my vho's when the MH reflectors take up all the room over the tank
The reason why I will never own a bowfront!!! The best bet is to pick a smaller pendant. Try the Lumenarc mini. BUT, (generally) the smaller the reflector, the less spread of light you will get. Honestly, you would be best off getting a third pendant and using the Lumenarc minis. Then you will have space for your VHO.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 08-04-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:45 PM

At the moment I have 3 250w de metal halides and 2 165w vhos .

I'm happy with the colour and growth of the corals , the biggest problem I have and the reason I'm looking at changing things is the hamilton hood is very noisy (because of crappy fans) and the light spread is terrible

300g tank
Old 08-04-2008, 06:01 PM

Oh ok...for some reason I was under the impression you only had two. When/If you switch to the HQI ballasts, you may have to go through a few bulbs before you find the color you want. If you go with Ushio 10K and keep the VHOs that you have the same, you will have a yellower light than you are used to. You will have to figure out a way to change that. Personally, I would use 4 T5s for actinic and put 2 AquaBlue+ type bulbs in and 2 True Actinics in. That would REALLY pull the Ushios whiter/bluer.

Check that website, and it will show you the PPFD (similar to PAR) of each bulb with the PFO HQI ballast. You will notice that when you go with a higher Kelvin you will lose PPFD very quickly.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:14 PM

I really don't like the bluer look or even white. I like the bright sunny day look myself , what I don't like is having the colour red washed out.

If I could find a metal halide bulb that didn't make all my red colours look like dried blood I would toss my vhos in a minute In the mean time my vhos aren't actinics they are the uri 10ks which give the tank a nice pink colour

300g tank