Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > Lower Mainland

Old 03-28-2003, 04:36 PM

Son Of Skyline is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Son Of Skyline Send a message via MSN to Son Of Skyline
Default Where do you buy your fish?

Besides J&L, where do you all buy your fish? I've been out to King Ed Pets and Big Al's, but the fish don't seem as healthy sometimes and the selection isn't as good as J&L. Nothing wrong with J&L (that's where I get most of my stuff anyway) but just wondering if there's anywhere else you all recommend for quality, selection, and price. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2003, 06:40 PM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

I've never had a fish die that I bought from King Ed.... Big als... fish have died at the till..... and on the way home.. and during acclimation... etc..

Point to remember... avoid fish that normally have dark colour body with small white dots, it is very hard to see the Ich...

When I say I've never had a fish die I bought from King Ed thats not entirely true, eventually they die after a couple years depending on the fish... I did loose all my fish though that I bought at King Ed just recently they were all healthy appearing and happy until I added an Orange Shoulder tang that I DID NOT get from King Ed... it was the first fish I added in over a month... it died with in 48 hours and everything else was dead with in another 48...

Now I isolate my new fish... all... 3 of them so far....
Old 04-05-2003, 08:30 PM

Troy F is on a distinguished road

Mason, I'd shop around at all of them. I've seen good livestock at most of them. I have fish from J&L's, Paul's, Big Al's and Animal House. I've lost fish from all of those places too.

Doug, you're making it really hard not to say what I'd like to about "your favourite fish store", give it a rest already. How long have you been in the hobby that you have such a high opinion of "your favourite fish store"? It sure didn't take me long to figure out my opinion on what makes a good store but I'll give you a hint; it ain't price.

lusus naturae
Old 04-05-2003, 08:56 PM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

I appreciate your comment and your concern Troy, I've been in the hobby for about 19 years, I took a few years off while in the Navy... they frown on aquariums on destroyers, go figure.

My opinion of a good fish store is simple, one that sells stock at a competitive price, one that has knowledgable staff, and one where the fish don't die with in 48 hours of getting them home.

Fish do die, and fish from a store can bring diseases into your tank, regardless of how great the store is. It is an unfortunate thing, sorry that you feel motivated to express your lack of respect for my opinion, the give it a rest already comment is not called for, I could say the same thing about the respected store everyone seems to like so much where I bought the one fish that wiped out my aquarium...
Old 04-05-2003, 09:22 PM

No you couldn't, the reason everyone likes J&L so much is that they're a great store.

lusus naturae
Old 04-05-2003, 09:45 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

I am really beginning to feel that buying livestock is a crap shoot. Recently I bought Royal Gramas from two local stores. The first one from store #1 went into hiding, and lasted a week. The second from store #2 was dead the next day. I went back to store #2 because I like punishment, and bought another. It has been as good as gold. The fish is with me today, it has grown a lot. I had similar experiences with Six Line Wrasses. I bought one from store #1, it was gone quickly. I went back and bought another from the same store. It keeps the RG company, and is fine. I have bought four fish sight unseen online from your favorite store. All are fine.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 04-05-2003, 10:21 PM

steve-s is on a distinguished road

I agree with rcipema for the most part, buying fish online or instore is not always a guarantee that the fish will do well in your aquarium.

Even some of the best stores still have deaths. The one thing that sets the better stores apart from the others is the arrive alive guarantee. That tells me at least they are confident in what they are selling and also how well they are cared for. If the store was more interested in the get 'em in and get 'em out philosophy, then there would be no such guarantee.

The best thing you can do before buying any animal, fish or otherwise is know what you want before you buy it and understand the care of that animal. I have many times been at an LFS and seen people look at a fish and say OH!! isn't that cute. It gets bagged up and quite probably is dead after a week. Not to suggest that is the case here, but it does happen.

Many think as well that it is up to the LFS to inform the buyer, I disagree. I think it's great that the LFS is able to offer insights into what they are selling, which may suggests a better level of care on the part of the LFS, but it is ultimately the responsability of the buyer to know before hand. If not, ask them what they do know. Most often they will not offer advice unless asked and even then it is rarely accurate.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-05-2003, 10:35 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOrchidGuy
I took a few years off while in the Navy... they frown on aquariums on destroyers, go figure.
Bah we have had on on the Algonquin for 4 years now

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 04-05-2003, 11:09 PM

PHILZ22 is on a distinguished road

hi,
Welcome me thx

I had good luck buying fish from J&L Aquatics, and Paul's Aquarium in Surrey.
J&L Aquatics use copper in their tank so caution must be taken.

Paul's Aquarium sells excellent quality fish. Never had one die from there. All look very healthy.
Old 04-05-2003, 11:44 PM

Paul uses Cu in his fish system too.

lusus naturae