Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Red Deer

Old 07-12-2008, 02:59 AM

Tigerarmy is on a distinguished road
Default Ich?

I just bought a couple of false percs from Gold's and when I got them home one seemed to look like it's molting for lack of a better word? and it has a few white spots that are only visible from a side angle? Could it be ich? If so, how do I treat?
Old 07-12-2008, 03:27 AM

Monti-Man is on a distinguished road

In molting do you mean like skin sluffing off?

If so get it into quarintine as you are probably dealing with Velvet.

Here is a link to it and see if it matches up with is going on
http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/fis...aa102797_3.htm
Numerous corals,2 purple tangs,choclate mimic tang,Foxface,Solar wrasse,male and female lubbocks wrasse,hoevens wrasse,Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse,Blue Sided Fairy Wrasse,yellow wrasse,3 Yellowstripe Anthias,True percand S.Gigantea anemone
Old 07-12-2008, 03:33 AM

Cryptocaryon sounds like what it is. A sort of clear mucus/ skin coming off top fins and 3 spots of white on back of body.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:39 AM

I guess scarlet cleaner shrimp will eat it off, and I just happened to buy one today with the fish lol. So, I should be ok then right?
Old 07-12-2008, 03:55 AM

Ick doesn't involve skin coming off. That is velvet and will wreck havoc in your tank.
It may also have ick in regards to the white spots but velvet is what makes there skin slough off.

I would quarintine him/her and treat it myself as velvet can make its way through your tank rather quickly. So can ick mind you

Just my 2 cents worth
Numerous corals,2 purple tangs,choclate mimic tang,Foxface,Solar wrasse,male and female lubbocks wrasse,hoevens wrasse,Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse,Blue Sided Fairy Wrasse,yellow wrasse,3 Yellowstripe Anthias,True percand S.Gigantea anemone
Old 07-12-2008, 04:06 AM

It's more like a halo around him of clear skin that seems to trail him......and I dont have a qt tank made or available......Are there any other options?
Old 07-12-2008, 04:11 AM

Oh thats sooo not good.
I think that link that i gave you gives you some info on how to treat but i think your only option with that is to quarintine.

Maybe someone else will chime in, in regards to treatment or other ideas.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:24 AM

What would I need to set up a QT? A whole second saltwater setup?
Old 07-12-2008, 04:57 AM

sharuq1 is on a distinguished road

Qt tank: just a bare tank, no rock, heater, if needed a pvc pipe to hide in. Can also include a filter (sponge or hob) with used filter material in it for an instant cycle.

Do you have any other fish in the system? If qt-ing and medicating is not an option you could always try adding garlic to their food every time they are fed for a period of time (hopefully someone on here would know how long is best). I have some garlic stuff at home for that purpose that you are welcome to borrow. I also have an "emergency" sponge you can have if you do end up running a qt and need that instant cycle.

Last edited by sharuq1; 07-12-2008 at 06:00 AM.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:03 AM

There are 3 other fish in there one galaxy damsel? blue devil and another false perc. I was reading there that I could give him a freshwater bath....or that my cleaner shrimp would help.....but if you wouldn't mind me borrowing that garlic that would be great. When's a good time? Should I still try and setup a QT tank?