Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-26-2003, 02:21 AM

kgb is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to kgb
Default need advice guys:)

I got a new starfish, Called a "feather starfish" is it going to eat my fish or coral? Do you know what it eats?
Old 03-26-2003, 02:28 AM

AJ_77 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: need advice guys:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb
I got a new starfish, Called a "feather starfish" is it going to eat my fish or coral? Do you know what it eats?
"Though a feather starfish attaching itself to rock just looks like a plant, it is an animal which can swim gracefully with feather-like branches. It collects planktonic drifters with feather-like branches and carries to a mouth, which is on the upper side of a small root disk as well as an anus."

"The feather stars are some of the most primitive animals in the sea. They have up to 200 arms that have sticky feet that pass floating plankton into a channel that runs down each arm to the mouth. Crinoids prefer to anchor themselves to coral that is exposed to strong currents where the most amount of floating plankton drifts by."

"The Feather Starfish is an unusual species that looks more like a plant than a starfish. It ranges in color from brown to orange, yellow, and black. Like the Basket Star, the Feather Starfish is a filter feeder. It is nocturnal, and at night it can be found with its long arms unfurled where it filters plankton from the water."

"The Feather Starfish may grow to 14 inches. Omnivore, like to eat filter feed (invert food, brine shrimp, micro-plankton) a few times per week, when open.. The Himerometra species is generally peaceful toward other tankmates. Reef-safe. Many consider the Himerometra species a medium-maintenance specimen. Not venomous. Algae eater. Needs places to hide. Be careful with copper-based medication and extreme nitrate levels. Do not expose to air. Nocturnal feeder. Can reproduce off a snippet from my arm. Keep water quality high."

HTH,
Old 03-26-2003, 02:28 AM

Troy F is on a distinguished road

You probably should've asked this before you purchased. I think you'll be a little disappointed when you discover they're extremely difficult to keep alive in home aquaria.

lusus naturae
Old 03-26-2003, 02:33 AM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

crinoid, filter-feeder. take it back and tell the LFS to stop stocking them not an good aquarium specimen

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/crinoids.htm

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 03-27-2003, 02:28 AM

Diomedes is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Diomedes

Crinoid's are harder to keep in small, newly established aquaria. Since you have one, the best thing you can do is try your hardest to care for it...an unfortunate experiment it is...first pick up a bottle of DT's Live phytoplankton or buy some Phyto paste from Wendell down at Ocean Aquatics...also ask him if he carries a zooplankton type ration. There is little conclusive evidence to support Crinoids being exclusive phytoplankton or zooplankton eaters...Start additions of these products, supplemented with regular weekly additions of live brine shrimp hatchlings enriched with Selcon. This is the best you can do for your new Crinoid, and who knows, maybe it will survive or you will learn something. If you want more detailed info on Crinoid biology just send me a private message.

Note: with extra additions of DT's, Zooplankton substitutes, brine shrimp etc. you will want to institute a more rigorous maintenance schedule with a focus on water changes.

Good Luck

Stephen
Old 03-27-2003, 02:58 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

I cant believe that someone is actually importing them.
TeeVee gives good advice.
Take it back to the LFS right now and get a full credit.
If they refuse let us know the name of the store where you purchased it from so we all know.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:06 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco
If they refuse let us know the name of the store where you purchased it from so we all know.
Yes please tell us as we were all planning on comming out to calgary to buy fish next week and we would hate to shop there

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:29 AM

Diomedes is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Diomedes

I disagree with these guys kgb...While its true that you should have known more about it before you bought it, it is now your responsability to try to care for it...that means getting the most current information and trying to accomodate your crinoid. Don't bail out on your life forms just because you made a mistake...I doubt the LFS that sold you the crinoid cares enough to provide suitable living requirements for it, while you have the chance to try. You might learn something, and that learning experience may contribute to a greater understanding of Crinoids. Taking it back to the LFS is a cop-out and disrespectful of the life involved. Own up to your purchase and work hard to keep it alive...that is the most respectful and resposible thing to do...who knows who will buy it if you return it. I'll help with the info if you wanna do the work.
Old 03-28-2003, 02:23 AM

Troy F is on a distinguished road

Steve, I'm so glad to see your back and contributing. The point Naesco makes is that if they take a loss on the creature they may learn and stop importing.

lusus naturae
Old 03-28-2003, 02:54 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

That is exactly the point I am trying to make.
Ignorant or irresponsible LFS and online stores should pay for their mistakes not the reefer.