Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-11-2008, 03:12 AM

Oscar is on a distinguished road
Default What Are These Things

Both of these items have popped out of the LR in the last 2 weeks. I assume they are algae of some sort but can someone hazard a guess?

Suggestion: Is there value in creating a separate identification forum?

Creature #2:

Old 06-11-2008, 03:29 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

All are algaes...

The bright green stick things in the photos that you aren't referring to are Neomeris annulata. It is not a problem.

The mushroom looking things are an algae, but I can't remember the name...rrrg. Although I seem to remember it not being a nuisance. I could be wrong on this one...I'm going to go search and see if I can track it down for you.

The last brown one is Padina...get rid of it. It will spread like a plague. Be sure you don't let any little broken bits of it float around either as every little broken bit will grow a new one wherever it lands.

Where did you get your live rock from? It has a lot of different algae growths on it, and looks like it's going to be a pain in the butt in the future. I think it is a great candidate for a dark bin to cure aka "cooking". If you want more info, ask. Or (preferably) do a search.

SPS fanatic.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
All are algaes...

The bright green stick things in the photos that you aren't referring to are Neomeris annulata. It is not a problem.

The mushroom looking things are an algae, but I can't remember the name...rrrg.

The last brown one is Padina...get rid of it. It will spread like a plague. Be sure you don't let any little broken bits of it float around either as every little broken bit will grow a new one wherever it lands.

Where did you get your live rock from? It has a lot of different algae growths on it, and looks like it's going to be a pain in the butt in the future. I think it is a great candidate for a dark bin to cure aka "cooking". If you want more info, ask. Or (preferably) do a search.
Hmmm..

I was only trying to get identification on two creatures and you have refered to 3? We have the "stick" and the second one is the lighter inverted "top".

It has taken a while for the alage to settle down. Still waiting to get my efugium up and running for some nutrient export. Then I may go through another period of low light levels. That seemed to be the best treatment so far.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:34 AM

Any other ideas?
Old 06-11-2008, 01:58 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Okay, the green stick things called Neomeris annulata are in ALL of your photos. I thought you were also looking for an ID on the tall stringy thing with a disk on the end...which I called a mushroom like thing which sows up only in your first two photos. I still couldn't find an ID on it. The brown disk thing that only shows up in your last two photos is Padina.

If I had a photo program I would just circle them for you...here, links instead:

Padina:

Neomeris annulata:

Do you have any inhabitants in your aquarium right now? If so, what?

EDIT: I saw your tank log...looks like just some clean up crew and a couple chromis? If so, there is no harm in doing a dark period (low lighting probably won't make enough difference). Just don't turn the lights on for a week or so and see if there's a difference. If not, keep them off for longer.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 06-11-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Okay, the green stick things called Neomeris annulata are in ALL of your photos.

If I had a photo program I would just circle them for you...here, links instead:

Do you have any inhabitants in your aquarium right now? If so, what?

EDIT: I saw your tank log...looks like just some clean up crew and a couple chromis? If so, there is no harm in doing a dark period (low lighting probably won't make enough difference). Just don't turn the lights on for a week or so and see if there's a difference. If not, keep them off for longer.

Myka: Thanks for the identification, you were quite right there were 3 items in those photos. I will do some research on those.

My current critters: one reef lobster, one short spined urchin, 3 astrea snails, 5 nassarius snails, 4 hermits. No fish, no corals.

About 10 days ago I went through a 4 day period where the actinics were on for 12 hours but the hallide was off. That really knocked back the hair algae. Easy enough to go for a full lights out for a few days.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:07 PM

[quote=Oscar;329368]

Suggestion: Is there value in creating a separate identification forum?

This parasol like algae is "The mermaid's wineglass (Acetabularia crenulata)"

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...&ct=image&cd=2
Old 06-11-2008, 05:31 PM

Matt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Matt

Quote:
I am shocked to hear padina maligned so... it cycled out of my tank when the nutrient load dropped. It was quite pretty, and I do miss it. Reefkeeping mag counts it as desireable, too. Anything can be a weed, if it grows where you don't want it, I guess.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:22 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

i agree a id forum may be a good idea. sorry i cant help with the id.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I am shocked to hear padina maligned so... it cycled out of my tank when the nutrient load dropped. It was quite pretty, and I do miss it. Reefkeeping mag counts it as desireable, too. Anything can be a weed, if it grows where you don't want it, I guess.
Thanks for that link, too bad my padina is boring white not the purple shown in the photo. I have some halimeda growing elsewhere. I will do a bit more research but see if I can transplant it to the front of the tank.