Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-10-2008, 04:40 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Closed Loop

Hey All,

I'm still working on the design of my new tank and I have a question regarding flow.

I'll be using a Dart for a return pump that will also run a manifold to run all my equipment. ( calc reactor / media reactors / fuge supply ) I'll be running a Dart for a closed loop through the bottom of the tank - 4 outlets across the front of the tank. I was going to use a third Dart for a closed loop over the top of the tank with intakes in the bottom pane.

Would this me too much flow, not enough or adequate flow for a 315-gallon tank.

I'm not a fan of seeing equipment in the tank so I am trying to avoid power heads
Old 06-10-2008, 05:28 PM

phillybean is on a distinguished road

Depends on what you want to keep. 9450 - 12600 GPH should be your goal for SPS. A dart closed loop would is 3600, 2700 with head loss.

Does the 315 include the frag, sump etc?

In the end, I would go with two dart closed loops and a large (1800 GPH) Mag or Eheim pump for the sump. Remember you want a slower turn over in your sump to ensure all the water get skimmed. IMHO
Old 06-10-2008, 05:51 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

Two closed loops is what I have listed above. One through the bottom of the tank and one over the top plus the return pump

That's three darts in total. The return pump will lose a fair bit of flow due to feeding all the equipment and fuge.

Sorry if I made it confusing.

315 is the tank volume only.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:14 PM

phillybean is on a distinguished road

Ah. What kind of corals do you want? For a mixed reef I think you'll be fine, but if your going heavy SPS I would go with a Hammerhead for at least one of the closed loops or go with all 3 darts on a closed loop.

On my 75 I have one dart on a closed loop and a mag 5 return for a total of 41 turn over / hour. For a tank four times the size of mine, I would try to match that.

Last edited by phillybean; 06-10-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:00 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

I use 3 Darts to run my 400 gallon display. One Dart on each CL (2) and one Dart for the sump return. This sounds similar to what you are thinking, and my tank is larger.

I certainly have no trouble growing SPS. My only concern is for when the SPS reach enormous sizes and start to block the movement of water around the tank. At that point, I may have to upgrade the Darts.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 06-11-2008, 12:21 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Barracuda on a OM 8way?
Old 06-11-2008, 04:55 AM
dstasiuk

I have a much smaller tank (135 gal) running an OM 4 way with two bottom and two rear returns. I had difficulty getting a decent wave action. Perhaps two four-ways or an eight way will work better.

What I ended up doing that worked very well was adding a Wavebox. How about 2 4-ways and a dual wavebox? If you cound aesthetically get the wave boxes incorporated, they create great action, and the CL will keep the suspended debris into the water column where it can be skimmed away...
Old 06-11-2008, 05:09 AM

crtrcrzy is on a distinguished road
Default closed loop

i run 2 darts in my 270 .1 runs the return from my sump and the other is running my ocean motion 4 way lots of nice flow