Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 03-22-2003, 12:51 AM

Chedi is on a distinguished road
Default New to Calgary

Being new to Calgary and this board I just wanted to say hello and that I look forward to some great advice from all you experienced reefers out there- I moved from Vancouver about a year a gao where I had a FOWLR set -up and have finally gotten around to setting up my tank again I'm about 6 weeks into my first reef and will undoubtedly have a multitude of questions as I go.

To start off with- I was wondering how many of you in Calgary us an RO unit- I'm unfamiliar with the characteristics of our water here. Secondly- I've done the tour of the LFS and have read a few threads on the subject from this board but was wondering if you guys could share with me some of your experiences- good and bad with our LFS- who's has the best quality livestock, and who ships from the phillipines, etc..

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Old 03-22-2003, 01:25 AM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the Board, and the Calgary Reffing Club. To answer your question about RO/DI. To be fair a few reefers here use them. The vast majority including the LFS with the best corals do NOT. Calgary has excellent water for reef purposes with lots of naturally occurring Calcium Carbonate. I would not use RO if you gave me a unit. Now you have heard from a Non RO person. You will probably soon hear a totally different opinion. The choice is always yours.
As far as LFS's go, if you want quality corals and are willing to pay through the nose, Wai's would be your choice. Some like Pisces, a lot of us are becoming fond of Gold's. There is always Big Al's, but do not take the mention of the shop as a recommendation.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 03-22-2003, 01:52 AM

spikehs is on a distinguished road

I use a 2-stage bare bones ones, not really sure if it makes all that much difference, but it sure cant hurt! welcome to calgary.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:00 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Hi Chris,

Welcome to Calgary !

Likely the tapwater here will work if you like algae, and get the macroalgaes in place as a nutrient control. This can probably work for low bioloads.

We keep a higher bioload in most of our tanks and use RO/DI and top quality skimming to keep nuisance algae away, and nutrients under control. This is to allow us to keep a higher fish load, while maintaining the water quality required for coral as well.

As you can see, it is not quite that black and white, depending on what you plan for your tank.

I have done a lot of MO because I am not always comfortable with what is available here. Your location in the city will probably determine where you buy dry goods etc.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:51 AM

Canadian Man is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Calgary Chris 8)

I agree with EmilyB 100%. I have also mailordered most of my stuff with some fish and corals purchased locally. Most though have been through mailorder or other wonderful reefers tanks throughout Calgary. There is always frags to trade or purchase from most. The one thing I do not like about using tap water is the seasonal fluctuations that can change your tank. Many in Edmonton at the current time are suffering from an algae outbreak(tap water users of course ). This outbreak has to do with the diffrent "things" showing up in the tap water because of all the moisture lately along with many other variables.

Anyway I use RO/DI and have for about 1.5 years and started my first .5 year in this hobby with tap water.

Cheers
-----------------------------------
www.cakerybakery.ca
Old 03-22-2003, 04:02 AM

Chedi is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replys- I definately appreciate it. I always find it interesting to see how different people have success using different methods.

Bob- I was wondering, is the naturally high level of Calcium Carbonate in the tap water the only reason you choose not to use an RO unit? Do you find that you don't have to dose calcium heavily on a regular basis?

On that note- what additives does everyone choose to use given your knowledge of our water chemistry?I have alot to learn in general, but even more so in this area given that I've only kept fish only systems in which additives such as calcium aren't an issue.

As for the LFS- thanks for the tips- I live in Kensington so I've spent most of my time at Wai's. I was originally looking for an aquaspace light and that was where I was able to find one.Definately pricey though :shock: Danny seems like a decent guy, though a little anxious to sell me livestock for a new tank- I suppose that's any LFS though.

Emily B, Jonathan- do you MO through JL in Vancouver? I got a lot of my livestock from them when I lived out there. All in all I found them to be a good LFS, but I have to admit that I feel a little uneasy buying livestock site unseen and then asking it to fly to Calgary.Am I just being paranoid?It sounds like you guys have had success.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 03-22-2003, 04:14 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

I've never had anything but a hugely positive experience ordering from J&L.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:01 AM

Canadian Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyB
I've never had anything but a hugely positive experience ordering from J&L.
Mee too.

You might be able to keep up the demands of calcium and alk in a reef tank with tap water, but it depends largley on the type of corals you keep.
Softies, fine calcium from tap water may suffice but many stonies and you have to add calcium/alk some how and more than tap water will add.
I use only a calcium reactor on my system and that's all the additives I use.
-----------------------------------
www.cakerybakery.ca
Old 03-22-2003, 12:19 PM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

Welcome Chris!

Mitch
Old 03-22-2003, 02:16 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

[quote="Chedi"]
Quote:
Bob- I was wondering, is the naturally high level of Calcium Carbonate in the tap water the only reason you choose not to use an RO unit? Do you find that you don't have to dose calcium heavily on a regular basis?
I have very few stony corals, and I like Coraline Algae, which is something I don't see much of in the RO tanks. The worry about other algaes appears to be unfounded.
The question as always is this; I have loads of Coraline, I have no algae problems, everything I choose to keep in my aquaria does extremely well, so why would I monkey with success :?: :?:

As far as I am concerned the RO/DI proponents can do their thing, but if someone asks if it is necessary to use RO, I say NO. After that the person asking is on their own to do what they wish to do. I just never question success.

And as a last bit of advice. You will find a few people on this board to be completely anal about their RO/DI water. These people do not accept the possibilty they may correct for their own situation, but not necessarily correct for all situations. My advice is that you should not be swayed by the vocal few. Look at all the evidence, and make your own decision.

---------Homer Simpson--------