Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-19-2003, 11:32 PM

mrcopitr is on a distinguished road
Default salt water connection protein skimmer

Hi Guys

I've installed one of SWC protein skimmer on my reef last week and do not seem to be getting the proper foam production. (the residus collected in the collection cup has not been enought to drain in the auto waste collector)

If any one as one...where should the water level be in the skimmer (the box, the first tube, second tube ....and at what level in the tube. or box....

I would contact Jayson...but he his away on vacation.

Thank you

Marco
Old 03-20-2003, 02:36 AM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

Didn't it come with instructions?

In my experience I have found I get best skimmage if I set the water level so the foam boils just a bit below the neck to the collection cup. Those may be different though, I would raise the water level until you get wet foam in your cup and then start to lower the water level until you get that dark green gunk....
Old 03-20-2003, 01:20 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Hi Marco,
I have used 3 different models of his skimmers. Perhaps I can help. What height model is it? What pump are you driving it with?

I found on the taller models, 36in and 32in. I had to run the water level just under the cup, to get better production. IMO, these large skimmers could be run lower, using a larger pump, like an Iwaki,70 or something. If powered by a Mag 24 or a Mak 4, which are the minimum pumps, then they should run a higher water level. It also depends on what its skimming and the tank load.

Jayson runs the 36in. models on his 500g tanks, powered by Mak 4 pumps and they skim like crazy. He runs the level at the flange. But his load is much different than ours.

I now have one of his newer sized models. Its 27in. and when driven by a Mak 4, it rocks. I have been making tank changes, so just played with the skimmer so far and it was producing like crazy the first night. I run the water level in it, just above the flange.

FWIW, I have never seen better quality in any aquarium product I have purchased.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:15 PM

CHEAPREEF is on a distinguished road

From what i've read and from setting mine up the water level should go about 3" below the second riser. I could not get any stable foam until i set it low enough to become a "drier" foam. The way i set mine was as fallows. Shut the air off compleatly, adjust your water level to 3-4" below the second riser and let it settle for a while. Then adjust your air valve for a small bubble size, should look like a milkshake in your riser, now wait. Mine took about 12 hrs befor ethe foam started to reach the second riser and about 24hrs before it went into the collection cup. This is the way i set it at Aquarium Ilisions on Sunday and it's starting to work very well in about 10 min. We'll see this Sunday they are getting a new shipment of LR, should make it go nuts. :shock:

Clinton
Old 03-20-2003, 08:17 PM

Hi Doug and Clinton,

Thank you for the info....

the model I got from Jayson is 30''....custom made for under my cabinet, I run it with a mag 18 (this the pump Jayson recomanded).

It has been running for a week now, and I dont seem to get proper foam, the bubbles are quite big (and this even if I set the air vave at different position) and do not produce the milkshake apperances of foam. I currently have the water level just under the collection cup and is currently producing a little greenish water in the collection cup.

So what is your opinion, should I run it with water level at the flanges....in the middle of the rising tube or as I have it now, just below the collection cup.

Is it normal to have bubble present in the injector...some of the bubble rises in the water present in the injector????

Last night it seem to work not so bad and this morning there was almost no bubles produced by the skimmer......

Yous help is very well appreciated.....

Best regards

Marco
Old 03-20-2003, 10:12 PM

Personaly i would lower it about 2-3", you may have something stuck in your air valve if you can't shut it off. You should be able to shut the air right down so all you get is water flow through the beckett. You may just not have enough bio load in the tank right now. If you want to kick start it you can squirt some DT's in the sump where the skimmer sits or the intake is. Should make it go nuts in about an hour.

Clinton
Old 03-20-2003, 11:09 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Have you also checked the injector, to make sure its not partially plugged?

I agree there may be a problem with the air intake. Should be able to shut it down. Make sure it has enough plumbing tape on the threads or even a little silicon.

I believe Stephane was driving his Aerofoamer with the 18 and seen dramatic improvement when switched to a Mak4 pump. Dont get me wrong, the 18 will work fine, but I cant see it driving foam all the way up that large skimmer, unless like Clinton mentions, you have a heavy load. Jaysons 36 in. models skimmed well with a Mag 18 on his tanks, but those were 500g stock and grow out tanks.

I would say Clinton level is about perfect to produce good foam, which would be not to wet. The main body itself should be like white pvc with bubbles. My current model is like this, but the 36in. and 32in. models were not, unless I raised the injector to cup level and drove the water level about 2 or 3in. below the cup. This would even be more so with a smaller pump.

You also need to get the airflow right, so as to introduce as much air as possible, but not large bubble. They are to disruptive to the skimmate.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:53 PM

Andy is on a distinguished road

FWIW, I drive my My Reef Creations MR-2 skimmer with a Mag 24 pump. I tried driving it with a Mak 4 and didn't think it skimmed as well. I run my water level anywhere between 0 and 2" up the lower riser tube and get a nice dry foam. I have a second injector but am not currently using it. I think I need to increase the length of the second riser before I get that one running. When I ran the 2 injectors, the water level was rising up too high in the second riser tube even with the gate valve wide open.

Andy
Old 03-21-2003, 12:15 AM

Thanks guys for all the good tips and info.....

Doug I sent you a PM, I needed some clarification on one point....

Thanks Marco
Old 03-21-2003, 04:56 AM

Let use know if you get that bad boy skimming, pics?

Clinton