Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 05-22-2008, 03:09 AM

bv_reefer is on a distinguished road
Default rs80 or rs100? need reviews fast, thanks!

hey guys, i phoned in ocean aquatics today and all they had in was the rs135, obviously overkill, wendell mentioned however that the rs80's and 100's are coming in as of next week, and i finally saved up to get one , what i'm wondering however is whether the extra few bucks is worth kicking over for the rs100? i'm wondering about ppl's experience with this because of the short and wide body design of the 100, thanks in advance-

by the way it's a 33 gallon(sps dominant) and i should also throw in the fact that i'm starting zeo and need a skimmer that'll comply well with this system-

My reef~http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...-/P4300459.jpg

Last edited by bv_reefer; 05-22-2008 at 03:13 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:29 AM

dreef is on a distinguished road
Default euroreef

I'd look to the future,and get the bigger model.don't get me wrong the 80 would be more than enough for you.I luv my euro..they really pull out the nasty noog.Never know when you'll get a bigger tank......
Old 05-22-2008, 03:40 AM

Sebae again is on a distinguished road

The 100 has a larger pump . I have one on my 90 gallon and it works great. for the extra $ 30 or so it's absolutely worth it. So when you upgrade to a 90 gal in a year or so, you're all set.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:56 AM

thanks, just the reviews i'm looking for..so.. is it fair to say that the larger pump on the rs-100 gives it a little more efficiency?

Old 05-22-2008, 04:18 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bv_reefer View Post
is it fair to say that the larger pump on the rs-100 gives it a little more efficiency?
Well it is rated for a bigger tank. But ya, it is definately a tad more efficient. The RS-100 is my favourite model.

SPS fanatic.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:37 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't say the larger pump would be more efficient, in my experience smaller pumps have higher air to water ratios. I believe this is partially why larger skimmers tend to use multiple smaller pumps rather than one bigger pump. Of course the the larger pump will bring in more air but uses more power, so you can't make any claims about efficiency without at least knowing the air flow and power consumption of the pump.

Personally I would probably go with the 80, it's smaller which would probably be better considering space may be a concern with a 33 gallon aquarium and because I've seen a few 100s and 135s have problems containing air bubbles, again a big concern if a small sump is being used. Going bigger isn't always better, the larger pump on the 100 will likely cause more turbulence in the small body and since euro-reefs don't have diffuser plates it may not be as effective at skimming less stable proteins.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
I wouldn't say the larger pump would be more efficient, in my experience smaller pumps have higher air to water ratios. I believe this is partially why larger skimmers tend to use multiple smaller pumps rather than one bigger pump. Of course the the larger pump will bring in more air but uses more power, so you can't make any claims about efficiency without at least knowing the air flow and power consumption of the pump.

Personally I would probably go with the 80, it's smaller which would probably be better considering space may be a concern with a 33 gallon aquarium and because I've seen a few 100s and 135s have problems containing air bubbles, again a big concern if a small sump is being used. Going bigger isn't always better, the larger pump on the 100 will likely cause more turbulence in the small body and since euro-reefs don't have diffuser plates it may not be as effective at skimming less stable proteins.
thanks can't explain how much that helped!
i actually found an rc-80 for a decent deal, what do you think about these as opposed to RS's? i noticed as you mentioned the use of multiple smaller pumps, such as on the RC's..

Old 05-22-2008, 01:32 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Never actually seen an RC80 but the RC models are definitely better than the RS, they have better craftsmanship and use the better Ehiem pumps. They can be used external, is that your plan?
Old 05-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Banned

andresont is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post

Same thinking here...
I don’t know why so people tend to overlook air intake, imo this is the most important detail in the skimmer’s performance, second would be quietness and power consumption.
For a sub $800 I would buy a skimmer with at least 600L/hr air intake, quiet and easy to clean, if the unit is more then a $1000 it must produce at least 1200 L/hr of air intake and would consume less then 90W or so of energy.

So disregard fancy names and marketing; check and compare the specifications.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:07 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

EuroReef has seriously dropped the ball as a company. I'd look elsewhere