Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-21-2008, 04:50 PM

VFX is on a distinguished road
Default Porcelain vs. Pom Pom

I have a Red Polka Dotted Porcelain Crab (just less than 1 inch in width) and would love a Pom Pom too.

Do these guys live in peace together in a 34 gallon, 20" cube tank?

Other invert inhabitants...

1 Cleaner Shrimp
5 Sexy Shrimp
5 Left Handed Hermits

Whilst we're on the subject of inverts...

How will a Red Fire Shrimp fare in there? Will he attack my Sexy's?

Cheers!

VFX.

Last edited by VFX; 05-21-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:00 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

i have two porcelin and a pompom together with a sallylightfoot. also 2 cleaner 2 fire and a camel backed shrimp . all in a 34 g and they all do fine. its just a matter of having enough hiding places. pompom was mising a anem last time i saw him but he is doing fine. plus i have hermits aswell. i have recently started to use more flake food and the sally LOVES it. cant him him away . i have noticed that both my porcelins are missing a claw but they are growing back now. i have added more rock since i noticed this and chalk it up to not enough hiding places.

JUST 2 PENNIES FOR YOU .

Ps i dont recall ever seing them on the same side of the tank ever.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Last edited by ElGuappo; 05-21-2008 at 05:01 PM. Reason: PS
Old 05-21-2008, 05:06 PM

Wow! That's a lot of crustaceans!

Good to see them all living in harmony!

I have just over 30lbs of LR in my tank with loads of nooks & hiding places so fingers crossed!

Old 05-21-2008, 05:39 PM

yes its lots i think the reason i get away with it is i have a PH behind my rock wall to blow out debris and many are content to sit in the flow there. which is why i rarely see them. the porcelins really like it behind the wall.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

Old 05-21-2008, 06:06 PM

My Porcelain takes advantage of the fact that I need more flow! She loves the crevasses between the rocks where debris settles.

She's gonna hate me when I install another PH & hook everything up to a wave maker!

Old 05-21-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFX View Post
My Porcelain takes advantage of the fact that I need more flow! She loves the crevasses between the rocks where debris settles.

She's gonna hate me when I install another PH & hook everything up to a wave maker!

she'll only hate you for a day then get used to the new flow and love it m sure. i swear there is no such thing as too much flow as mine sit an inche from the koralia.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:22 PM

Which Koralia do you have?

Mine are only 1's

Old 05-21-2008, 08:00 PM

i have 1 behind the rock wall and a nano on the rock face. i usually only run 1 of the 2 PH's built into the cube. just for skimming and filtration. i dont like the flow they give.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:07 PM

I'm just using 2 Koralia 1's & the standard return pump on my cube. It's a Solana not a RSM so I don't know how they compare.

I just see a couple of areas where the flow isn't quite reaching & also would like some randomness to the flow overall.

BTW - What are your the Pom Poms eating? Are they just picking up debris or do you actively feed them?

Old 05-21-2008, 09:34 PM

i have never fed him he drags his anems in the sand picking up food andpicks through that. i would never be able to find him to feed him. i havent seen him in 3weeks. i only see him at night and rarely.