Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-13-2003, 05:52 PM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road
Default Water Filtration for the Lower Mainland

I've been using the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap water purifier for a while and just wonder what everyone else does for filtration. I've tested our water and haven't detected any phosphates and I always run my water for a couple minutes before I fill my mixing tank so I shouldn't have a problem with copper etc from my pipes. I think R/O would be overkill, but what about just running my water through some carbon?
Old 03-13-2003, 07:16 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I use an RO that I got for $250. Best purchase (next to the shop vac) I've made for my tank. Not sure why you think it's overkill. I think it's much more economial than using TWP over the long run. Is what you're doing bad? Who knows? Do you have algae problems? Do you see an issue with the water?
Where do you get your water from? How far does it travel in the system? Is the system broken anywhere allowing contaminants in? Will it be broken tomorrow? Does the chlorine level maintain itself for the duration of the travel to your home? If not, is GAC going to remove biological growth?
Basically, if you're happy with your tap water and trust the distribution system, you may be OK. For $250, I know my water is just plain old water. Think of it as insurance.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:22 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Wouldn't you have an RO for your orchids already? If not, consider it a dual-return on your investment...
Old 03-13-2003, 07:24 PM

crap.... Okay.. I don't want to have to learn another lesson the hard way.....

Any idea what the smallest R/O unit avialable is? I've seen 10gpd at J&L but I figure I do about 5 gallons/week of w/c and a gallon a day of top up...
Old 03-13-2003, 07:25 PM

Delphinus, No I just use tap water for them, our water is so soft that it isn't an issue. I add fert once a month or so and thats it.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:28 PM

Just for clarity, a discus breeder friend of mine sent some water to Mike Reed for analysis, he says our tap water is too soft for discus, have to make it harder.... actually he said our tap water is to soft to support life.

Our water is rain water, just held in a reservoir and distributed. Last year in our drought our water actually got up to 1dGH... still no carbonates though.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:56 PM

Jack is on a distinguished road

RO unit is probably one of the best purchases I have made with my tank aswell. Listen to Brad. They are relativley cheap when you look at what you get out of it in the long run you will be happy and realize that it was well worth it.

I feel better knowing contaminants aren't going into my tank causeing algae blooms, etc. And just to be redundant I have a TDS meter
Old 03-13-2003, 10:39 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

Can someone please explain the ins and outs of using an RO unit?

1. Do you need to buy anything else besides the RO unit and replacement media cartridges? I read something about a flush kit, what is this and how do you use it, do you need one?

2. Can you set up your RO/DI unit on a non-dedicated faucet ie. have it attached to your faucet, but be able to flip a switch and bypass the unit?

3. Do the RO/DI units generally run continuously 24/7 or do you just turn them on and off when needed? If you only use them when needed, do you have to run your water to clear the lines before each use?

4. Should you replace the cartridges on a set timetable every so many months, or after every so many gallons of water, or only when the media runs out? Is a TDS metre necessary or just useful?

5. Based on ease of use, maintenance, and cost of cartridges, and capacity of the unit, and time/gallons between cartridge changes, which unit is recommended? I see Kent as an often-mentioned brand, is this one to go with?

6. I have seen RO units for household (kitchen) use, are these OK to use as a source of water for your tank as well?

7. Are the RO/DI units easy enough to install for someone who is not a handyman?
Old 03-13-2003, 10:50 PM

Old Guy is on a distinguished road

Check out Ebay.ca. There is a guy in west van pumping RO drinking systems cheap.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:53 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Mine came with the flush kit and sink adapter. When I need water, I hook it up the the faucet and fill my jugs. Mine is a 100gpd, so it's fairly quick. I also got a TDS meter with it; you test the TDS of the output and this tells you when to change cartridges.
If you want to plumb it permanantly, this is easy also. Anyone can do it. You can hook it under your sink and add a drinking water kit. Lots of options.
Check out the AquaFX link just off to the right...lots of info. Aquariumpros.ca has the best deals (last I checked)