Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-12-2003, 01:58 PM

Seamonkey is on a distinguished road
Default frogspawn taken up sewing?

Dumb title, but it got your attention.
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what's going on with my frogspawn. I have noticed some white thread like stuff coming out of some of the bubble tips. It appears healthy, has grown a lot since aquiring it 8 months ago. The only thing now is it may be getting a little crowded and rubbing up against the glass.
Toni
Old 03-12-2003, 04:35 PM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

Is it the feeler? I've seen frogspawn and other Euphillia in the LFS with long thin feelers out stinging the other coral around it.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:04 PM

Pansy-Paws is on a distinguished road

Yup, kinda sounds like the feelers. Does the threadlike thing dissolve eventually (like a mucus string) or stay with the frogspawn tentacle? If the latter, it's the feelers. Ours did that and stung a piece of pumping xenia which then crashed. Make sure you give the frogspawn lots of room. Our feelers don't seem to come out often, but we learned and have given it a zone of its own.

Try target feeding the frogspawn - maybe he's hungry. We put a small/teeny piece of shrimp on a skewer and lower the skewer into position so that the shrimp is up against a frogspawn mouth (little puckered bumps at the top of the stem area). The spawn tentacles then curl around the shrimp piece and we pull off the skewer and the tentacles push the shrimp into the mouth. Isn't it amazing all the stuff that fish and other critters teach us to do

Our tank http://www.pansy-paws.com/aquarium/

29 gallon nano-tank
Old 03-12-2003, 07:22 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

It is possible that it is zooxanthallae being expelled. This is common and normal with Euphylia spp. coral.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:21 PM

Seamonkey is on a distinguished road

Wow everyone, thanks for all the input! Unfortunately I guess it could be any of those things. I did a water change today, so I moved it to a somewhat more spacious location. Will wait and see what happens, a least it doesn't appear sick.
Toni