Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-29-2008, 06:10 PM

Dobber is on a distinguished road
Default Help Me

okay so I am relatively new to the business of marine aquariums, well ive had my 90 gallon for two years and just recently upgraded to a 220 gallon corner overflow tank running two #3 megaflow sumps underneath. I have two 1800 gph magdrives for main system pumps and I have two koralia 2 for some circulation ($). I am in the process of trying to get a wavebox and some proper circulation. I have an aqualight pro 250w 72" with 10,000K bulbs. The temperature in my tank is fluctuating slightly between 74 and 79 not usually that big however. Okay so finally to my problem. I CAN'T KEEP CORALS AT ALL the only thing i have been able to keep is a small xenia frag that has only been in the tank for two days or soo lol. I feed live phyto once a week. I also feed frozen brine, cyclop eeze, marine plankton frozen cubes, frozen rotifers and marine algae flakes everynight. My fish however are gorgeous I have a Powder Blue Tang, Yellow Tang, Convict Tang, Juvenile Vlamingi Tang, and a Desjardini Sailfin, Regal Angelfish 7". Some other fish include a helmut gurnard prawn goby, purple firefish, 6 green chromis, six line wrasse 5", two true percula clowns, and I have a purple reef lobster that is well fed, I also have 2 purple queen anthias and am hoping to get more females. Also have a breeding pair of mandarinefish eahc about 4" long. I have a decent skimmer rated for 200 gallons, a 40 watt UV sterilizer and a reefugium that fills the second megaflow. My Parameters are as Follows.

Salinity: 1.023
PH: 8.4
Calcium: 400
Carbonate Hardness: 90
Phosphates: Barely Detectable
Nitrates: Very Little
Nitrites: 0
I have also ben adding strontium because when i put corals in its almost as if the flesh lifts right off within the next few days.

PLEASE HELP
Old 04-29-2008, 06:14 PM

Pan is on a distinguished road

What is your water source?
I do believe your salinty should be higher as well 1.025-1.026. Lower is okay for FOWLR., but corals require a bit more in general.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Regal angels are notorious coral eaters. Almost everyone I know with one tells me that it eats corals.

Anthony
Old 04-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Masterbaiter

Joe Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Joe Reefer

I would not dose strontium unless you have confirmed your tank is strontium deficent. Was the tank purchased used? If so want was it previouly used for?
Old 04-29-2008, 06:35 PM

bassman is on a distinguished road

How old are your bulbs? How high off the water are your lights?

230 mixed reef / 230 gal sump/fuge
Old 04-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Masterbaiter

Joe Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Joe Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman View Post
How old are your bulbs? How high off the water are your lights?
I don't think old bulbs are going to cause the problems he is having.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:54 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

Flow would be my first concern. Are your return pumps throttled back or are they really running 1800GPH, are they directed with locline?

The Hydor 2's really do not give enough flow for a 220G.

Im my 90G I have ~400GPH return from my sump, a Vortech wavemaker, 2xKoralia 2 and 2xKoralia 4 and I still don't think I have enough flow.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 04-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Hey Tom, glad you came on board Canreef. I'm sure some of the experts here will be able to help you out.

To better understand your setup, maybe give some details about your water filter system as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
okay so I am relatively new to the business of marine aquariums, well ive had my 90 gallon for two years and just recently upgraded to a 220 gallon corner overflow tank running two #3 megaflow sumps underneath. I have two 1800 gph magdrives for main system pumps and I have two koralia 2 for some circulation ($). I am in the process of trying to get a wavebox and some proper circulation. I have an aqualight pro 250w 72" with 10,000K bulbs. The temperature in my tank is fluctuating slightly between 74 and 79 not usually that big however. Okay so finally to my problem. I CAN'T KEEP CORALS AT ALL the only thing i have been able to keep is a small xenia frag that has only been in the tank for two days or soo lol. I feed live phyto once a week. I also feed frozen brine, cyclop eeze, marine plankton frozen cubes, frozen rotifers and marine algae flakes everynight. My fish however are gorgeous I have a Powder Blue Tang, Yellow Tang, Convict Tang, Juvenile Vlamingi Tang, and a Desjardini Sailfin, Regal Angelfish 7". Some other fish include a helmut gurnard prawn goby, purple firefish, 6 green chromis, six line wrasse 5", two true percula clowns, and I have a purple reef lobster that is well fed, I also have 2 purple queen anthias and am hoping to get more females. Also have a breeding pair of mandarinefish eahc about 4" long. I have a decent skimmer rated for 200 gallons, a 40 watt UV sterilizer and a reefugium that fills the second megaflow. My Parameters are as Follows.

Salinity: 1.023
PH: 8.4
Calcium: 400
Carbonate Hardness: 90
Phosphates: Barely Detectable
Nitrates: Very Little
Nitrites: 0
I have also ben adding strontium because when i put corals in its almost as if the flesh lifts right off within the next few days.

PLEASE HELP

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:36 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Is it possible that the tank has had copper in it at one time? Is the tank new or used? Aside from the reef lobster, you don't mention inverts. Inverts and corals can be affected by very little copper. Live rock?
Old 04-29-2008, 07:45 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I was wondering also if the tank had ever been medicated (especially with Copper).

Anthony