Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 04-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road
Default DIY Stand for Nano tank (picture intensive)

Well, I've been working on putting together a new Nano tank for my office at home for a while now and so I thought I would put together a thread to describe the building of my DIY stand and eventually the DIY light hood as well. I say eventually because I haven't figured that hood completely out yet, so this will be a great place to discuss it.

As for the stand, I started building it about 2 weeks back and have been tinkering with it each night that I have time. To say that I have "overbuilt" this is an understatement. After seeing how many people comment on how strong a stand has to be, I got carried away with building it and now it weighs almost as much as I do...all for a 16 gallon nano...lol.

I want to thank my brother for giving me a hand and lending me any tools that I was missing.

Okay so here is a pic of the framework for the stand...remember this is a 16x16x16 cube tank that it will be holding.

Then I started putting on the sides...I'm using 3/4" Birch veneer.

From there the back panel was installed after the frame was planed smooth.

Slowly it's starting to take shape...and gain a lot of weight...lol.

And the front facias were glued on and clamped.

Once everything had dried enough to hold, I started to prep the bottom shelf which will be laminated to give it more water resistance.

Then I installed the kick-plate. Mostly for looks as the door will cover this.

Now I started on the top. First the plywood needed to mounted and then the cleats needed to be sanded and added. Next will be a black laminate to protect the surface.

Well that's as far as I've reached so far. Before I put the laminate on, I plan to condition the wood for staining, stain all the surfaces a cherry color and then put about 3 coats of Diamond coat verathane over everything. There is a door that still has to be mounted once I've finished preparing it as well.

So what does everyone think? Comments...questions?

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.

Last edited by mseepman; 08-19-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:28 PM

Okguy is on a distinguished road

Looks great Mark. Once you're finished, maybe I can get you to build one for my new home office. Then I can spend even more time not working.

50g tank 23g DIY Acrylic Sump\Refugium

Sold Dec 2009

Vacation Fun: http://members.shaw.ca/cabin54/

Last edited by Okguy; 04-25-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:59 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

You used 3/4" ply? I'm using 3/4" ply on mine, but only because I'm using european hinges for the doors, and I need the depth to drill for them. Otherwise, I'd be using 1/2".

Looks good! You're officially ahead of me. I went diamond hole saw hunting again today, and found some this time!!! All contractor grade though, and $50 a pop including contractor discount! $100+ for 4 holes...uh no thanks. Errrg...I wanted to do my plumbing this weekend.

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:41 AM
Gold Member

Haha....unfortunately, I'll be hanging up my carpenters hat for a while one I figure out how to do the canopy/light hood...Between the two tanks, my FW tank and my new baby, I suspect life will be busier than I like it to be.

Plus my better half isn't thrilled with me going off to work on the stand while she has to care for the baby all by herself.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:44 AM
Gold Member

If you are looking for a diamond hole saw, you should go to Princess Auto...they had them on sale the last time I was in there for a pretty decent price. Otherwise, you should check KMS tools over by McCurdy road as they also have crazy amounts of tools for really good prices. Check their website.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
You used 3/4" ply? I'm using 3/4" ply on mine, but only because I'm using european hinges for the doors, and I need the depth to drill for them. Otherwise, I'd be using 1/2".

Looks good! You're officially ahead of me. I went diamond hole saw hunting again today, and found some this time!!! All contractor grade though, and $50 a pop including contractor discount! $100+ for 4 holes...uh no thanks. Errrg...I wanted to do my plumbing this weekend.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
If you are looking for a diamond hole saw, you should go to Princess Auto...they had them on sale the last time I was in there for a pretty decent price. Otherwise, you should check KMS tools over by McCurdy road as they also have crazy amounts of tools for really good prices. Check their website.

Hope that helps.
Omg...are you kidding me? I was in Princess Auto for an hour talking to someone who said they didn't have any, and searched through all his catalogues and said they can't even order them!!! Bah! I guess I'll go back today!

EDIT: I just searched through the last two flyers they put out, and I didn't see any diamond hole saws. I just called and the guy on the phone said that the diamond hole saws are "a one time buy offer", and they aren't a normal stock item. Apparently they don't have any right now either. Wow, what a gong show!

SECOND EDIT: I just called KMS tools, and they only have contractor grade Bosch brand ones, which are expensive.

But thanks for trying to help me out!!

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 04-26-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Gold Member

Bummer...sorry about that. I should have bought them when I saw them.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:48 AM
Gold Member

Default The work continues

Well I continue to work on my nano stand. It seems less nano every day though...especially when I have to lift it...lol.

So the top got laminated black...not necessarily the best color for salt splash, but I thought it would look the best.

After pre-treating the wood, I gave it the first coat of stain. It didn't go as dark as I wanted but I will give it another coat shortly. Once it reaches the color I want, I will verathane the inside with gloss and the outside with semi-gloss...hopefully after enough coats it will last for a while.

I also picked up the last of the materials to my canopy...now I just have to put all my jumbled ideas on the canopy into something that looks good and works.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
I also picked up the last of the materials to my canopy...now I just have to put all my jumbled ideas on the canopy into something that looks good and works.

My first thought after seeing your laminated top would be to laminate the canopy too. What were you planning for it? I'm waiting to see what you're going to do with yours...you're doing a "floating" canopy too eh?

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:58 AM
Gold Member

Well...as for the floating canopy...maybe, especially if you share some ideas you have for how I could do that. As for laminate on the canopy, I have white laminate which will be go on the bottom where the lights are so that splashing water doesn't show so easily and so that it is as reflective as possible.

I'm imagining a box about 18" x 18" x 6" with a white laminate bottom, birch sides and top. I will make it out of 1/4" plywood. Inside, it will have a 70w DE DIY MH, 2 x 20W T5HO bulbs (1 actinic & 1 10k) and a lunar light for the night. I will have dual fans in the canopy wired to a variable adapter so that I can control their speeds (and noise level). What do you think?