Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-25-2008, 02:47 PM

Jaws is on a distinguished road
Default styrofoam

I'm setting up a 90G Bow Front and there seems to be about a 1/2" lift between the glass and the stand because the tank sits on the edges of the tank (black trim) instead of the glass bottom. Should I still use styrofoam under the tank in this case or no? Thanks for your help.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:27 PM

Brent F is on a distinguished road

The rule I was told is put foam under the glass if the glass rests on the stand but do not use foam if the bottom glass floats (has a space between the bottom glass and the stand).

The black trim tanks with the raised bottom glass don't need foam under them.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Jason, I've always used something under it just to absorb any imperfections in the stand.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:34 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
I'm setting up a 90G Bow Front and there seems to be about a 1/2" lift between the glass and the stand because the tank sits on the edges of the tank (black trim) instead of the glass bottom. Should I still use styrofoam under the tank in this case or no? Thanks for your help.
1/2"???? That's a lot! No styrofoam in the world will come close to correcting that. Fix your stand.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I think he means the height difference between the rim and the bottom.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:09 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I think foam would be a bad idea.

You'd have foam pressing on the glass and also on the rim...possibly seperating rim from glass.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Just a guy..

Typically people put carpet, insulating foam or some other mildly compressible material under the tank. This just gives an even surface for the frame to sit on. I've seen tanks without it which are still full of water, but I've always used something. Right now I have a really thick type of underlay under mine.
styrofoam would probably be too "puffy" and compress too much. Dunno, nevr used it.

Jason, go to HD and get some of that blue or pink 1/2" foam, works great. Or don't, but we don't want another crack, right?
Old 04-25-2008, 06:32 PM

Brent F is on a distinguished road

Since the frame of the tank supports the bottom any foam in the centre wouldn't touch the glass. If you do use a foam it would only need to go around the outer edge since the bottom glass won't be touching it.

I'd be concerned that the framed tank would break away the edges of a styrofoam put under it since all the weight would be on the edge of the foam.

If you do decide to use a foam, I'd use a closed cell foam and wouldn't use anything thicker than a 1/4 inch (1/8 would be a better choice).
Old 04-25-2008, 07:40 PM

Pier Pressure is on a distinguished road

I had a 150 gallon blow up on me twice in eleven months. Consequently sold all my freshwater. I did not have anything between the tank and stand and it appeared to be flush - and I was informed that if I would have had something between the tank and stand it would have voided the warranty. I ended up getting my money back, but be sure to check your warranty. Tank and stand were matching and appeared to be completely tight to each other, and the stand was tight to a stone tile floor. Just FYI.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:09 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

I had a tank crack WITH a piece of foam in between stand and tank.