Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics livestock related only)

Old 04-08-2008, 04:04 AM

Marlin65 is on a distinguished road
Default Turtle to good home

My daughter has had this turtle for five years and she is looking for a good home for him. I think he is a red necked snapping turtle.
She wants to try saltwater but wants the turtle to go to a good home first.
PM me if you want him or know where I can take him.
I know someone that has a pond but not sure if he would survive the winter.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:23 AM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road

He's a red eared slider, As for the pond idea it would have to be fairly deep and have a good muddy bottom. He might have a chance then. Check with some of the LFS's. They might take him in on trade. Unfortunately they are not as popular as they once were. A lot of people blamed them for salmonella, but I don't think they were as bad as some people thought. Cute little guys though and yes they bite but not like a snapping turtle. Snappers are nasty and I would not suggest them for anybody other than experienced people.Hope you find a good home for him/her...
Old 04-08-2008, 04:44 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

How much ? my neighbors had 5 of these a while back they were pretty cool. how big of a tank would it need?
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:03 PM

Marlin65 is on a distinguished road

You can have him free but you have to give him a good home.
My daughter is attached to him, but he has outgrown his tank.
She wants him to be taken care of.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:05 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

If you can get him here I would love to take him. I need to do a bit more research on their care and upkeep, but I would be happy to give him a home.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:06 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to have 2 of these guys and after about 6 years, they outgrew their tank. I thought our pond would be a good idea but unfortunately, they both died the first winter. I felt so terrible. They really enjoyed the summer in the pond and I used to see them all the time but the winter was just too cold I guess, even here in Vancouver. Hope she finds them a good home.

Heres something I read a while ago about the Salmonella thing:

"Red-eared sliders have been reported to carry Salmonella. At the height of pet store turtle sales in the United States, red-eared sliders were being raised in large numbers under sub-optimal conditions. Adults were being fed lettuce refuse and moldy bread. The decaying foods developed Salmonella. The sliders were not affected but served as carriers, that infected the young children who purchased them as pets"

Basically they do not have salmonella and only carry it if the conditions they are in are terrible. As a kid, I used to carry mine all over the house and then put my hands in my mouth...I seem to even remember putting the turtle in my mouth when it was little and my mom freaking out.

Another thing I thought I would mention about their care, since many people don't know this is that they need UV light. Eventually they get metabolic bone disease (soft shell syndrome) if they do not have sufficient UVA and UVB. Basically the same bulbs used for most reptiles. Even just a spot where they can sunbathe. They are also better to feed in a separate container because they are so messy and will cause bad water quality fast. Good filtration is needed. And of course, they get about a foot long, so a big tank!

Last edited by GreenSpottedPuffer; 04-08-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:09 PM

AaronG is on a distinguished road

they r very nice i use to breed a few and just set up a walmart plastic kiddy pool in the basement,works very well(as for sexing look at the tail, long is male i believe)