Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 03-05-2008, 03:56 PM

michika is on a distinguished road
Default Interceptor in Calgary

I've been unable to find a vet who will prescribe Interceptor for me for use in QT. I've visited a pile of vets and called even more. Its been suggested that I call the Calgary Zoo!

At best people keep saying they need to come out and see my tank, and see the red bugs. People just aren't understanding that I use it as a preventative measure against Red Bugs. I'm not sure where else I should go, or who to contact about this?

So how do people get interceptor in Calgary?
Old 03-05-2008, 04:08 PM

langdon reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to langdon reefer

Ill Talk to my vet out here and see what i can do for you small country town maybe i will have some luck...lol
Old 03-05-2008, 04:34 PM

KrazyKuch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to KrazyKuch

Kevin
Old 03-05-2008, 04:36 PM

Thank you.

I called my old vet in Edmonton, but she is on mat. leave indefinitely. So no luck there. I never truely realized how incrediably hard it is to find a reef-friendly vet.

Sorry the above post was me...
Old 03-05-2008, 07:15 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Haha, been there, got the t-shirt.

http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21932&

BMW Rider was able to get some from these folks.

Happy hunting!
Old 03-05-2008, 07:36 PM

Phanman is on a distinguished road

Hey Cathrine,

I'll try ask a few friends with dogs if they can get some for their vets. If you do find some i would also like to grab some too if you dont mind picking me up some.

Cheers,

3x20g Display Established June 08|Koralia nano, 1, 4|Euroreef Skimmer|250W MH retro kit|Mag 18 return|RODI
120g Display Established Jan 1, 09|Vortech MP40|Koralia 4|I-Tech 100 w Tunze 9410.04A|Aquactinics Constellation 7x54W|Mag 18 return|RODI
Old 03-05-2008, 08:17 PM

I have dogs and I've already contacted both my vet in Calgary and my previous vet in Edmonton.

I think I spoke to all the same vets as Tony did in his thread, and got the same responses. After calling back my vet, he says that he would be more then happy to come out and do an in-home consultation, and then he would consider writing a script for it. I was advised today that a prescription is required for it. I suppose my next step is to amass a collection of literature and photos about red bugs for the next time I visit with my vet.

I previously got my prescriptions from Mill Creek Animal Hospital in Edmonton. They were fantastic about it, all they ever asked for was information about my system, size, etc.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:22 PM

hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road

I'm positive I can get you some. Let me know and I'll pick some up next time I go to town.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:23 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I think your best bet is to try to get ahold of the Steve guy from North Vet Hospital (contact info is in the thread). He's at least seen the documentation now that Ed (BMW Rider) showed him all that, so presumably all you need to show him now is proof that you have red bugs.

Basically what it comes down to, I don't think we can legally acquire Interceptor anymore without proof that we already have red bugs. In my case I wanted to get some for "just in case I do get them one day", in that situation it's basically hopeless.

Even 1-800-Petmeds won't ship the stuff without a faxed in prescription .. unless they forget to ask for it or something.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:35 PM

I've already contacted NVH, with no luck. The thing that really gets me is that I assume most people use Interceptor as a preventative measure, yet you can't get it without having Red Bugs. Sounds like our healthcare system, treat the illness when it pops up, don't bother trying to prevent it.

I'm exploring some other avenues right now. I hope one of them works out. On average I used to go through a box every 6 months, depending on fast I aquired colonies and frags. 2-3 boxes a year is all I need.