Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-06-2008, 07:50 PM

chris c is on a distinguished road
Default floating particles

Hello, I am new to this forum and I have a question. I have a 280 gallon reef tank with 200lbs of live rock and 60 pounds of sand. I am having a major problem with lots of floating particles in my water. I am handling filtration with 2 8 inch filtration socks that are fed by 2000 gallons an hour from my overflow. I have a bubble master 250 skimmer and a 55W UV clarifier. My sump has a large built in refusium with 50lbs of live sand and macro algae. If anybody can help me out with suggestions on how to solve my water clarity problems, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris
Old 02-06-2008, 07:58 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Can you describe the particulate? Is it actual matter or could it be microbubbles?
Old 02-06-2008, 08:07 PM

Thank you very much for the quick reply. The particles are definitely not micro bubbles but look like very small pices of sand. But the sand in my aquarium is very coarse so I don't think that it would be my sand causing the problem.
Chris
Old 02-06-2008, 08:25 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

I have tonnes of particulate in my water, part of having a sand bed and a sleeper goby in my case.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 02-06-2008, 08:31 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

If not sand or micro bubbles then detritus.

Assuming the sock are reasonably fine (am running 100 microns that work)and not overflowing they should eventually get everything.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:34 PM

bassman is on a distinguished road

Atleast you should be happy it's not settling, it's staying in suspension. My tank always has some particulates floating around. It tells me my circulation is good.

What livestock do you have?

230 mixed reef / 230 gal sump/fuge
Old 02-06-2008, 08:35 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

I have a very similar system also pulling 2000GPH through my 4' sump, and with an external skimmer. The 100 micron bags I use do a great job and keep the water crystal clear.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:11 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris c View Post
Hello, I am new to this forum and I have a question. I have a 280 gallon reef tank with 200lbs of live rock and 60 pounds of sand. I am having a major problem with lots of floating particles in my water. I am handling filtration with 2 8 inch filtration socks that are fed by 2000 gallons an hour from my overflow. I have a bubble master 250 skimmer and a 55W UV clarifier. My sump has a large built in refusium with 50lbs of live sand and macro algae. If anybody can help me out with suggestions on how to solve my water clarity problems, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris
Chris is the problem that you have particles floating on the surface of the water?
Old 02-07-2008, 12:17 AM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Do you dose to maintain calcium and alkalinity? I'm wondering....how much particulate is there? Like just a bit or like a snow storm?

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 02-07-2008, 12:30 AM

Thank you all very much for the input. Its good to know that I am not the only one with this proplem. As far as live stock I have the following in the tank right now.
Yellow tang, Purple tang, orange sholder tang, sohal tang, cramini tang, tomato clown, fire clown, french angel, queen angel, emperor angel, and one sleeper goby.
The particles are not on the surface of the water, but in the water itself. It is not quite a snowstorm of particles, but not just a little either.
I appreciate your help,
Chris