Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 01-12-2008, 04:28 PM

Palster is on a distinguished road
Default Quarantining a Wrasse

I have had several Ich outbreaks over the years after introducing new fish and as a result I almost always quarantine any new introductions. I plan to introduce a Banana Wrasse (Thalassoma lutescens) to my FOWLR aquarium after quarantining it. I know these fish like to have a sand bed to burrow in at night but what I am concerned about is how this fish will be able to cope in a bare bottom quarantine tank. Should I be concerned about leaving this fish in a quarantine tank with no substrate for the quarantine period and will doing so cause this fish unnecessary stress and possibly its demise?
Old 01-12-2008, 06:10 PM

Canuckgod420 is on a distinguished road

I had two of those fish a while ago in my wifes tank. It was bare bottom and i tell you the fish where not happy. They rarely swam around, just kept hiding, and they looked really uncomfortable in the tank. Once we added a sand bed it was a world of difference, they swam around freely, they ate like crazy, really nice fish.
180G tank, custom DIY stand, Sunlight Supply-Sun Blaze 48" 8 bulb T5HO fixture, EuroReef CS6-1 and Vertex in 180 skimmers, 1/4 HP chiller, Tunze wavebox, 40G sump, and 40G refugium. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57451
Old 01-12-2008, 07:12 PM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road
Default Sand

I AGREE...THEY NEED SAND TO BE HAPPY... HOW LONG DO YOU QUARANTINE YOUR FISH AND DOES YOUR QUARANTINE TANK HAVE A UV STERILIZER ON IT. I FIND THIS TO BE AN EFFECTIVE WAY OF KEEPING MARINE ICH OUTBREAKS IN CHECK BEFORE I INTRODUCE A NEW FISH TO MY REEF TANK.

Last edited by dsaundry; 01-12-2008 at 07:14 PM. Reason: REWORDED
Old 01-12-2008, 07:16 PM

VFX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsaundry View Post
I AGREE...THEY NEED SAND TO BE HAPPY... HOW LONG DO YOU QUARANTINE YOUR FISH AND DOES YOUR QUARANTINE TANK HAVE A UV STERILIZER ON IT. I FIND THIS TO BE AN EFFECTIVE WAY OF KEEPING MARINE ICH OUTBREAKS IN CHECK BEFORE I INTRODUCE A NEW FISH TO MY REEF TANK.
Hey your capslock seems stuck on today

or are you just in a shouty mood lol

Old 01-12-2008, 07:18 PM

Default Ooops

At work...Forgot
Old 01-12-2008, 07:55 PM

I usually quarantine for about a month. A UV sterilizer is one of the things I plan on adding but have not done so yet. The display tank that this fish will ultimately be going into will have a sandy bottom.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:58 PM

Default uv

I would suggest a Uv sterilizer for you quarantine tank. One month to 6 weeks is what I quarantine mine for as well...
Old 01-12-2008, 09:39 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

When I was smart and QT'd, would go BB with a bunch of PVC fittings and pipe pieces for hiding places as was easiest for keeping the tank clean from waste and uneaten food.

Though never QT a wrasse, would suggest the same but if looking like isn't doing well, could try a container such as a ice cream pail 1/2 full of sand.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
Though never QT a wrasse, would suggest the same but if looking like isn't doing well, could try a container such as a ice cream pail 1/2 full of sand.
I like the idea of placing a pail with sand in it in the tank. Thanks for the sound advice.